Dakota Durango Forum banner

BCM - Body Control Module

60K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  JoMc67 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where this is located and about how much they cost?

#2 ·
If memory serves me, it is in the engine compartment, right where the air element it. I think it cost me about $500 for a new one, not including labor. However, I've been told that this is not a shade tree mechanic piece to replace because it needs to be programmed for your vehicle.

#3 ·
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is located on the passenger fender near the intake, not the BCM (Body Control Module).

#4 ·
Oops...you are correct. BCM...PCM...they all sound alike. :D

I think that the BCM is attached to the fusebox. So, if memory serves me again (and without walking outside), it should be somewhere near your left foot in the driver's compartment.

What are you trying to accomplish? Is something not working right any more?

#5 ·
A few things aren't working right. 1st - The headlights started to flicker off and then back on one night. I figured it was the light switch, $60 later nope. Then, the open door tone started to ring for no reason while driving down the road and not long after that the windshield wipers would turn on all by themselves while driving. Finally, yesterday my wife calls me a tells me the damn horn is just honking at will. I asked around and keep hearing about the BCM. I called the dealer to get the price, but they need the exact part number. So that's where I'm at now, trying to find the part number. If anyone has any other ideas feel free to pass them along. I would definetly appreciate it.

#6 ·
Yeah that sound like the BCM, or CTM (Central Timing Module) Your parking lights, headlights, locks, ect, all go through the CTM. That is located in your driver's side kick panel. Can't think of a reason that might be messed up though. Do you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry, or starter?? If so they would have tapped into that and maybe that could have screwed it up.

#7 ·
Boomin5POINT9 said:
Do you have an aftermarket alarm or keyless entry, or starter??
Yeah, the control module is a picky creature. After I installed an aftermarket alarm with window modules, my windows would just roll down at random overnight sometimes.

You might want to check to make sure that everything is plugged in nice and tight.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the help. $209 later, Everything is running fine. Replaced the blower resistor while I was at it.

#9 ·
So $209...What did you replace. What was the problem?

#10 ·
$209.00 was for the Central timing module only, Installation was very simple. Now I just need to get the keyless entry reprogrammed. So the dealer shafts you no matter what you do.

#11 ·
1998 Dodge Durango 4x4 automatic. Heater blower turns off if dimmer is all the way up and when i open the doors before turning off the key. Sometimes it will stay on after taking the key out of the ignition. Dome lights fade in and out and the aux. power outlet works intermitently. Rear defogger and wiper works intermitently. Most of the time all this happens when the vehicle get up to temp and the heater has heated the inside of the cab. Possibly the BCM? And where would that be located?

#12 ·
Wow only seven days in and we already have a contender for necro-thread of the year.. Last post eight years ago.. :jester:

For future reference, start your own thread about a problem you're having rather than post on an oldie like this.. ;)

With the combination of issues you're having I'd suspect a bad ground first. While the interior lights are controlled by the CTM, none of the other things you mentioned are. There are several ground points under the dash, any one could be suspect.

#16 · (Edited)
The CTM is a computer. Like any computer, sometimes - especially when subjected to high power RF, such as a malfunctioning CB/Ham/BBand radio - it gets jammed up and becomes unresponsive or does odd things. In this case disconnecting the battery reboots the computer, sometimes making it responsive again..

The touching the cables together really does nothing, although the idea is to drain any residual charge from capacitors in the system.. Turning the key on for a second with the negative cable disconnected does a better job. However, most CTM failures are actual burnt out hardware and rebooting doesn't fix them.

#19 ·
Dodge Durango BCM.....

Ok just went through the "fun" experience of dealing with a bad bcm on our 2001 dodge durango...headlights, interior lights, back wiper, 4 wheel drive service light on, door locks not working...Here is hopefully some useful information to anyone who has to get this replaced. For a quick very temporary fix you can unhook the positive battery cable for a few minutes then hook back up, it will reset the bcm, mine usually only stayed working for one start of the engine, after that it went back to not working properly.

You can buy a used bcm on Ebay for 60-100 bucks. You do need to match your part number exactly with the exception of the last letter in the part number. (Example part 56045453AJ as long as your part number matches 56045453A_ the last letter does not matter this is a dodge thing and just their way of updating their part.)

Also you cannot buy a new unit they do not make these anymore, you must buy a used unit. You will have to have a dodge dealership flash and program the BCM to you vehcile, they are VIN # specific, so if you bought a used one online and thought you could just throw it in and your dodge would start/run...wrong. I paid $75 for a used bcm and $90 at dealership to have it programmed. Some dealerships will not do this for you I had to call around to 3 different dodge dealers before i explained my dilema and they agreed to try and make it work....so stupid of course its gonna work all they have to do is program the new unit. I believe some dealers wont' do this because of it being a used part that already has a VIN # assigned to it...weird, anyway.......Also be sure to take in both of your key fobs as the will need to be programed as well. Durango is running great with all the locks lights wipers working again! Hope this helps someone wiht a similiar problem.

#20 · (Edited)
Ok, I also have an 01' Durango and have these issues for a few yrs now; Headlights blinking 0n-Off every second when low on gas (along with a instrument panel 'Security' light on), Dome Lights blink 0n-off rapidly when door is open (along with a rapid clicking sound), etc...A Hard-Reset of the Battery didn't help any.

So, after a quick research and some Youtube Vids I ended purchasing a used BCM (matching Part numbers), and all works well again, except my Key fobs don't work anymore. I tried using some techniques on Youtube to try and reprogram, but didn't work (I imagine it only works on the original CTM)...So, does this mean a reprogram of the Key Fobs at the Dealer ?

Any info would be appreciated...
Joe

#22 ·
Thanks for the Info, 01D...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.