Hard wire AUX input, factory headunit, no CD changer input [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: Hard wire AUX input, factory headunit, no CD changer input

kavisiegel
08-01-2009, 07:22 AM
So I set out this morning looking for an adapter for an AUX in. My head unit doesn't have a CD changer input, so its not as easy as you'd expect.

I spent my afternoon looking at new headunits, and I didn't really feel like switching. I like the factory stuff

So I decided to make my own AUX input. The plan was to hardwire onto the CD players output, with a 3 pole switch, allowing me to switch from CD to AUX.

Turns out that with this mod, you can flip the switch while using any audio source (CD, Tape, radio) and play your input. Radio just makes the most sense.

So with the flip of a switch... your iPod is playing. Or whatever you want to plug in. I didn't really write instructions, but I'll have to write some from memory tomorrow... but if anybody wants theirs modified too, I can write a real guide based on theirs. I'll probably even borrow a real camera - my phone aint as good as I hoped.

I included a few pictures that will give the brave anxious individual enough to go by, if they want to try it themselves.

A half-assed guide is a few posts down - http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92164#post2221910

fzmax
08-01-2009, 01:17 PM
There are a few companies that make them for the factory radios, but they only work for radios with the CD controls. I have a PAC Audio Aux box in my truck, but the radio I want to use doesn't have the CD changer controls so I'd love to know how you did that. Can you provide any details?

x1le
08-01-2009, 01:22 PM
A simple fm modulator would have done the trick for you.

kavisiegel
08-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm looking for quality. I got a top of the line ccrane FM transmitter, and its still not enough for me.

As for details, well, I'd provide details for what I've already done - but I don't think anybody but me would approve of the results. No volume control, no fade, no equalizer.
I'll probably have it fully modified by tonight. Since it's a modular design, I could go in off of any of the 3 inputs. Turns out the radio input is the easiest to remove and modify... so it's probably the best choice. I'll definitely post pics and a guide.

x1le
08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm looking for quality. I got a top of the line ccrane FM transmitter, and its still not enough for me.

There is a difference between an fm modulator and an fm transmitter.

kavisiegel
08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Yep, but a modulator is only slightly better than a transmitter. it still goes through format changes and, no matter what, radio only has a certain bandwidth.

Hard wired, straight up, is the best way.

RBeau1954
08-02-2009, 08:11 AM
There is a guy in St Louis that rebuild those infinity units, I talked to him about doing that to my unit. If the plug ins on the back are the round type, he can do it but if they are the 2 strip type plug ins then it can't be done. Of course, anything can be done for a price. If it all works out for you, let us know what you did, I would love to have aux unit but like you, I like the infinity stereo.

kavisiegel
08-03-2009, 04:34 AM
soooo, I got it working!

and I updated the original post with a few pictures. I'll try to actually write a small guide tomorrow. It's late now.

kavisiegel
08-03-2009, 04:42 AM
There is a guy in St Louis that rebuild those infinity units, I talked to him about doing that to my unit. If the plug ins on the back are the round type, he can do it but if they are the 2 strip type plug ins then it can't be done. Of course, anything can be done for a price. If it all works out for you, let us know what you did, I would love to have aux unit but like you, I like the infinity stereo.

Mine are 2 strip plugs. What he was going to do, I bet is hook up one of these: http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/moipinkit.html

I actually almost bought one, then I realized that it won't work. That's when I went to work.

kavisiegel
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
You know, I thought more people would be interested in this. haha.

99dakotasport
10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Ok so what did you do to make this all work.

Mystake
10-04-2009, 12:02 AM
for a while I used to use a modulator that connected directly to the antenna. I found that a bit easier.

kavisiegel
10-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Ok so what did you do to make this all work.

Honestly, I'm doing the best I can from memory and from the pictures I already took. I'd love to write a guide if enough people are interested, and somebody wants me to do one for them.

Here's what I just drew up..
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/489/radiomod.png

mike_ct
10-27-2009, 05:00 AM
bravo! congrats! that is so freakin' awesome what you did there; i've been trying for years to find this somewhere, i know someone somewhere must have done it - i did it on a gm radio in my last vehicle; the only thing was, i had to burn a blank audio cd and let it spin in the cd mode and my ipod would play hardwired to the cd output..i've taken my RAZ mopar radio apart twice and snooped around, and couldn't find what the heck i was looking for..i realize you have a different radio that i have, but i'm taking mine apart again, and with the help of your pictures, i hope i can get mine working..

also, i too can't stand the transmitter/modulator sound quality, hard wired is the only way..i really really hope i can get mine working..

i'm assuming the way you have this setup, your volume control functions as normal, right? i read in your earlier post the volume was not active..i would appreciate any more details you have on this project..thanks!

suprchgd99rango
10-27-2009, 05:12 AM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.gsp?image=http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03/39/91/99/0003399199037_500X500.jpg&product_id=10756155&iIndex=1&isVariant=false&corpCard=false&type=-9223372036854775808

why not get a line out converter like that?

mike_ct
10-27-2009, 05:19 AM
line out converter won't work for what i'm doing; completely stock system otherwise, no amp to hook it up to.

kavisiegel
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
bravo! congrats! that is so freakin' awesome what you did there; i've been trying for years to find this somewhere, i know someone somewhere must have done it - i did it on a gm radio in my last vehicle; the only thing was, i had to burn a blank audio cd and let it spin in the cd mode and my ipod would play hardwired to the cd output..i've taken my RAZ mopar radio apart twice and snooped around, and couldn't find what the heck i was looking for..i realize you have a different radio that i have, but i'm taking mine apart again, and with the help of your pictures, i hope i can get mine working..

also, i too can't stand the transmitter/modulator sound quality, hard wired is the only way..i really really hope i can get mine working..

i'm assuming the way you have this setup, your volume control functions as normal, right? i read in your earlier post the volume was not active..i would appreciate any more details you have on this project..thanks!

Yep, full volume control, fade, balance, bass, treble. I tapped into the pre-amp originally, but after some more searching, I got the signal to the right spot.

If it helps, most mopar headunits are modular. They have a connector for each module, and I found that normally the audio signal pins are the ones on the far sides. If you need any more pictures or clarification of anything, I'd be glad to help you out.

And by the way, mine is a RAZ. I'm sure the Ram and Dakota RAZ units are pretty similar.

mike_ct
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
thanks again; going to pull mine apart and now that i know yours is a RAZ, i'm sure mine will be the exact same..will post an update once i get r done..

mike_ct
10-27-2009, 08:23 PM
:( well, my radio is completly different inside; not having good luck..looked up the datasheet for the main philips i2c chip, and been trying various things; the tape inputs, the cd analog inputs, can't get things working..

kavisiegel
10-27-2009, 09:30 PM
:( well, my radio is completly different inside; not having good luck..looked up the datasheet for the main philips i2c chip, and been trying various things; the tape inputs, the cd analog inputs, can't get things working..

Take some pics of the boards and PM them to me

johnquaddakota
10-29-2009, 03:23 AM
is this a infinity unit I would really like to do this! would like my audio to look as stock as possible if people look in and see stock they dont try to brake in to steal stuff. might pull mine apart tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

70Cuda383
10-29-2009, 08:50 AM
definitly post a detailed write up! I hate flipping CDs around every 30 minutes when on a long road trip, and I routinely drive from Columbus to Pittsburgh (3.5 hour drive) and there's a huge dead spot in eastern Ohio where I can't even get an AM station, the signals are all too weak to pick up when the radio is in "scan"

my car came from the factory with an aux input already hard wired into the car, and I love it...I just wish the Dakota had one too!

kavisiegel
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
is this a infinity unit I would really like to do this! would like my audio to look as stock as possible if people look in and see stock they dont try to brake in to steal stuff. might pull mine apart tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

It is indeed an Infinity unit

definitly post a detailed write up! I hate flipping CDs around every 30 minutes when on a long road trip, and I routinely drive from Columbus to Pittsburgh (3.5 hour drive) and there's a huge dead spot in eastern Ohio where I can't even get an AM station, the signals are all too weak to pick up when the radio is in "scan"

my car came from the factory with an aux input already hard wired into the car, and I love it...I just wish the Dakota had one too!

I'm still waiting for a donor, so I can write a guide. heh.

If anybody's interested, just pay for shipping plus $8 for the cost of the switch and 3.5mm connector, and I'll do it for you, and you get the honor of having your unit in the guide!

jamesvtr
11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
i would like to see a write up as well i cant donate mine because i need it for commuting or id end up singing:wave:

shadow25
11-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Can you make it so that the tape input turns on the iPod, while I can hit CD or Radio and I don't have to switch off the iPod

kavisiegel
11-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Can you make it so that the tape input turns on the iPod, while I can hit CD or Radio and I don't have to switch off the iPod

If you want to drill a hole in your dash, you could probably install a push button switch?

I'd have to reverse engineer the tape module its self in order to do that, which is far more complex than the circuitry that connects the modules. It is possible, though.

jamesvtr
11-12-2009, 05:41 AM
well hope fully some one will donate there stereo so a write up can be done

shadow25
11-12-2009, 09:56 PM
If you want to drill a hole in your dash, you could probably install a push button switch?

I'd have to reverse engineer the tape module its self in order to do that, which is far more complex than the circuitry that connects the modules. It is possible, though.

Oh, ok. Its a PITA so, fuck it.

I'm gonna be pulling my 2000 Infinity Deck soon as I'm putting in another stereo. I can send that with the cash to have it fitted with AUX stuff in case I ever wanna put the stock stereo back in. Should be around the 20th.. Any idea on what shipping would cost to and from Seattle, WA.

kavisiegel
11-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Oh, ok. Its a PITA so, fuck it.

I'm gonna be pulling my 2000 Infinity Deck soon as I'm putting in another stereo. I can send that with the cash to have it fitted with AUX stuff in case I ever wanna put the stock stereo back in. Should be around the 20th.. Any idea on what shipping would cost to and from Seattle, WA.

I think you'd be a hero to everyone. haha :mullet:

You could probably fit it in a USPS flat rate box, I don't know how much the flat rate would be, but you'd probably want to throw however much it is in the box with it. It would probably take 3-4 days to get here, so I'll be able to do it just in time for thanksgiving break. That would work out great

shadow25
11-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Duh! i forgot about the flat rate boxes. Its like $7 each way, so like $25 total is a good deal for a retrofit.

I'll lookup the price, and ship it out on the 20th, so expect a PM a couple days before

Any idea if this works for a 2004 Durango Infinity Headunit?

kavisiegel
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Duh! i forgot about the flat rate boxes. Its like $7 each way, so like $25 total is a good deal for a retrofit.

I'll lookup the price, and ship it out on the 20th, so expect a PM a couple days before

Any idea if this works for a 2004 Durango Infinity Headunit?

alright, sounds good!

a 2004 durango...... nah they changed up the head units from 2001+, the new ones are rounded, and have a CD changer input in the back. Mopar sells an iPod adapter to plug into the CD changer input, and that's got plenty more features than just line in.

Montana Dodge
03-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Well that was a waste of my time to read with no actual write up.

Hope to see one soon, but doesn't look promising.

2k1AmberR/T
03-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Why do you have 3 wires shown going to the iPod?

kavisiegel
03-15-2010, 06:59 AM
Well that was a waste of my time to read with no actual write up.

Hope to see one soon, but doesn't look promising.

Heh, I wish I had another headunit so I could write the guide. The thing with that other guy fell through, and I haven't been chasing down somebody else with a donor.

Why do you have 3 wires shown going to the iPod?

Right, Left, Ground

2k1AmberR/T
03-15-2010, 07:14 AM
My iPod just has a headphone jack. Damn!

2k1AmberR/T
03-15-2010, 07:16 AM
If I could do this to my 01+ infinity radio to save 100 dollars I probably most likely definitely might do it instead. I don't have enough confidence in myself to learn/understand what you did based on your provided pictures and then transfer that knowledge to the different style radio that I have and actually expect it to work when I'm finished.

Montana Dodge
03-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Need to just take the pics you have and do a write up for us folks that are not up on all the electronics like you. We are dumb, throw us a bone! It looks easy enough to do if you have a little bit of electrical experience, but I have no idea what the little diagram means in the middle of your pic.

Montana Dodge
03-15-2010, 07:33 AM
My iPod just has a headphone jack. Damn!

From what I understand, the left, right, ground is all a headphone jack is.

2k1AmberR/T
03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
It was halfway a joke. I don't think any ipods have anything other than the plug at the bottom and a headphone jack.

Montana Dodge
03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
It was halfway a joke. I don't think any ipods have anything other than the plug at the bottom and a headphone jack.

:sorry: I'm just trying to figure this shit out. :huh:

MrMcQ
03-16-2010, 05:45 AM
thread is becoming popular, lol.

I think i would still prefer the 100 buck box that will charge my ipod.

I used to have a creative Zen mp3 player and would only have the aux input on a radio, pissed me off every-time it died. I would be be like 1/2 way to work with no way to charge until i got home. Then there was the times I would forget to turn it off at work and the player would be dead after work. Ipod interface with aftermarket stereos was nice because it kept my Ipod charged and would shut it off when the car was shut off. I don't know how the 100 buck adapter is but am hoping it's the same.

Sorry for the rant but that's my $.02 about the aux input idea, your decision though.

kavisiegel
08-09-2010, 03:37 AM
thread is becoming popular, lol.

I think i would still prefer the 100 buck box that will charge my ipod.

I used to have a creative Zen mp3 player and would only have the aux input on a radio, pissed me off every-time it died. I would be be like 1/2 way to work with no way to charge until i got home. Then there was the times I would forget to turn it off at work and the player would be dead after work. Ipod interface with aftermarket stereos was nice because it kept my Ipod charged and would shut it off when the car was shut off. I don't know how the 100 buck adapter is but am hoping it's the same.

Sorry for the rant but that's my $.02 about the aux input idea, your decision though.

problem is that box only fits 01-04 models anyways. Nothing says you can't get an ipod charger for $5 and plug it into the cigarette lighter, and plug the headphone jack into the radio, though.

Anyways.... any donors? I got lots of free time these days, I'd love to do a proper writeup.

Charger74
08-25-2010, 04:12 PM
So is there a way to do this if your Infinity has the cd changer option???

kavisiegel
08-25-2010, 04:59 PM
So is there a way to do this if your Infinity has the cd changer option???

Yes they sell plug and play modules for the iPod for 01+ model years. Look it up on google.

Charger74
08-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes they sell plug and play modules for the iPod for 01+ model years. Look it up on google.

Thanks, don't use an ipod, but did look up for the other players. Might try one.

kavisiegel
12-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Still looking for a donor! This type of mod would go good in the new buildup forum.. and I got plenty of time to write a nice guide these days.

fiveolddogs
05-28-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a similar HU in my Dodge Caravan. I believe mine is a RAZ model which has CD, cassette and has the ability to control a CD changer, though I don't have the CD changer.

Here is a picture of my HU:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/139699/Chrysler-Dodge%20radio.jpg

It's my understanding it is possible to utilize the 10-pin CD changer interface on the HU to obtain an AUX input, but I haven't found a proper description of how this is done. On youtube there is a nice video (http://youtu.be/294TFX3b5-A)showing how to add an AUX input if you have this HU along with the CD changer. According to comments left there, this will not work without the CD changer. Additional hacking is required to trick the HU into believing a CD changer is present.

That's as far as my research gets me. Does anyone here have any further information on this?

Thanks.

kavisiegel
06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
I have a similar HU in my Dodge Caravan. I believe mine is a RAZ model which has CD, cassette and has the ability to control a CD changer, though I don't have the CD changer.

Here is a picture of my HU:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/139699/Chrysler-Dodge%20radio.jpg

It's my understanding it is possible to utilize the 10-pin CD changer interface on the HU to obtain an AUX input, but I haven't found a proper description of how this is done. On youtube there is a nice video (http://youtu.be/294TFX3b5-A)showing how to add an AUX input if you have this HU along with the CD changer. According to comments left there, this will not work without the CD changer. Additional hacking is required to trick the HU into believing a CD changer is present.

That's as far as my research gets me. Does anyone here have any further information on this?

Thanks.

If you don't have the CD changer input, and you want direct input.. you have to cut and solder like I did... no other way about it!

jmaack727
06-20-2011, 01:32 AM
How is this one done do you know? I dont want to be flipping switches but the jackass wont let anyone know how to do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHh1tLnFH0

kavisiegel
06-20-2011, 05:42 AM
How is this one done do you know? I dont want to be flipping switches but the jackass wont let anyone know how to do it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHh1tLnFH0

The jack its self acts as the switch.. wouldn't be surprised if that guy got what he needed to know from this thread, he basically did the same exact thing just a few months later, same model radio and all. I recognize the radio station change muting behavior haha.. pretty cool, I like his switching idea for sure. I prefer to leave my ipod pluged in all the time though, and I also prefer to not have it in plain view... so hidden jacks FTW

jmaack727
06-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Yeah I want a jack in the center console. Id just put a female plug on back of the radio and then just get a patch cord to run to my console or glove box.

Can you make an illustration using the jack as the switch? I think I got it.

kavisiegel
06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Get this from radio shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103451
And here's the wiring diagram
http://www.miata.net/garage/external_audio_interface_files/image006.jpg

The switch/jack is just a pass-through for the signal when nothing is plugged in, but when you plug something in, it disconnects that signal and introduces whatever is coming through that jack. (Be careful with your volume, static when plugging this in can blow your speakers)

You still need to cut the left and right traces on the main PCB of the headunit.

You want pins 3 and 4 to connect to the tape player's output (this becomes the switch "input") which is the left of the PCB and guide illustration

You want pins 5 and 2 to connect to the face plate player connector, which is towards the front of the headunit (to the top-right of the "guide" photo)

You want pin 1 to go to the ground, use the pin between the right/left signals on the face plate connector for that.

Take plenty of photos!

Durango Bill
11-25-2011, 09:44 PM
So I set out this morning looking for an adapter for an AUX in. My head unit doesn't have a CD changer input, so its not as easy as you'd expect.

I spent my afternoon looking at new headunits, and I didn't really feel like switching. I like the factory stuff

So I decided to make my own AUX input. The plan was to hardwire onto the CD players output, with a 3 pole switch, allowing me to switch from CD to AUX.

Turns out that with this mod, you can flip the switch while using any audio source (CD, Tape, radio) and play your input. Radio just makes the most sense.

So with the flip of a switch... your iPod is playing. Or whatever you want to plug in. I didn't really write instructions, but I'll have to write some from memory tomorrow... but if anybody wants theirs modified too, I can write a real guide based on theirs. I'll probably even borrow a real camera - my phone aint as good as I hoped.

I included a few pictures that will give the brave anxious individual enough to go by, if they want to try it themselves.

A half-assed guide is a few posts down - http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92164#post2221910

Well as did the OP, i was mission this morning to add an AUX port o my 01 Durango w/RAZ some what different than 2000 below RAZ.

So using his instructions I set off to do it , below is the parts and tools needed

1) 1/8 or 3.5mm phone jack from radio shack part number 274-246 closed circuit $2.46 ( as stated in his lastest post)

Wire ( 3 diff colors, I used green/blk/Red) length will be determined on where you are going to mount the jack , my length was approx. 3ft for each

Solder
Soldering Iron
Magnet ( for those pesky screws you drop)
Needle nose pliers
Phillips screw driver
Wire stripper
Multi meter

Now you will additional tool to remove dash cover and radio from truck but not going into that , tools I'm listing is too perform the actual mod to radio

So onto the procedure :

Pretty much used the OP's initial guidelines and pics, now if you look at one the first pics he post's it show's the PCB board with part number. 923k841-1
The 01 part number is 923k843-1

So the 01 has a somewhat different board but the soldering points are the same. so follow those instructions he posted till you need too cut the trace L&R channels on the PCB board. ( pics below ) Now don't laugh at my soldering skills or my method of cutting the trace wires , this was trial and error I cleaned everything up after I got it right.

Regarding cutting the trace wires I just simply took razor blade and repeatedly cut both of them till I broke connection ( used OHM meter to verify )

In the pics the GREEN wire is left and RED wire is the right and BLK wire is Ground

In the 3rd pic the trace wires are on the bottom side of the board , where as OP's had them on the top side of his board , that is the difference I found between the 2 units ( left side of pic looks like scratches that's where I cut them with razor blade) just for clarification they are the 2 inner trace wires the outter is the ground DO NOT CUT that one..lol

Once you have everything soldered up on the board using the diagram of the OP's latest post make your connections to the jack and test it out

Everything should work Volume/EQ/TAPE/CD ..just pug in your media device and listen to MP3's/Sirrius ec..

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_08-44-30_517.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_11-43-58_802.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_11-43-26_857.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_15-33-37_782.jpg

http://www.miata.net/garage/external_audio_interface_files/image006.jpg

TazRango
11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_11-43-58_802.jpg

http://i852.photobucket.com/albums/ab90/wllmjameson/01%20Dodge%20Durango%20RAZ%20Radio/2011-11-25_11-43-26_857.jpg

No offense, but you should work on your soldering skills and get a hotter iron. The iron needs to be hot enough that it can heat up the joint to the solder melting point BEFORE the heat can conduct down the wire and melt the insulation. The longer it takes to heat the joint, the more heat is conducted down the wire. Basically it should take no more than 2-3 seconds of heat on the joint to melt the solder.

Pre-tinning the wire tips before you try to solder them to the pads helps the joint melt faster. Also, if the wire is particularly thin or the insulation seems to be heat sensitive, use a pair of forceps or reverse-spring tweezers (you squeeze them to open) to grab the wire just in front of the insulation as you heat the joint. They will act as a heat sink and divert the heat away from the insulation.

The red wire in the first pic is going to short out on the solder pad below it because the insulation melted (and the black wire looks pretty close to the pad under it as well), so I hope you put some heat shrink on them.

11-26-2011, 01:20 AM
You know, I thought more people would be interested in this. haha.

I am definitely interested in this. I am no wire guy though so I would love the detailed parts list, pics, estimated cost and detailed walkthrough. I too do not want to change the factory stereo and would love this option. I have satelite radio receiver that doesn't work the best with the FM Transmitter...

Durango Bill
11-26-2011, 10:30 AM
No offense, but you should work on your soldering skills and get a hotter iron. The iron needs to be hot enough that it can heat up the joint to the solder melting point BEFORE the heat can conduct down the wire and melt the insulation. The longer it takes to heat the joint, the more heat is conducted down the wire. Basically it should take no more than 2-3 seconds of heat on the joint to melt the solder.

Pre-tinning the wire tips before you try to solder them to the pads helps the joint melt faster. Also, if the wire is particularly thin or the insulation seems to be heat sensitive, use a pair of forceps or reverse-spring tweezers (you squeeze them to open) to grab the wire just in front of the insulation as you heat the joint. They will act as a heat sink and divert the heat away from the insulation.

The red wire in the first pic is going to short out on the solder pad below it because the insulation melted (and the black wire looks pretty close to the pad under it as well), so I hope you put some heat shrink on them.

So after reading all this , All you got out of this entire thread was my soldering skill's ? :clap2: ..just busting your balls, I did however mention in my thread not too make fun of my soldering skills as I mentioned it was a trial and error and was cleaned up before re-install

Bill

TazRango
11-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Haha I didn't even see that. I wasn't really reading, because I don't have a factory head unit. It popped up in my subbed threads list and I just skimmed the post and went right to the pics. :)

JimLusk
11-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Just to pop in here on this. I plan on doing this with the same unit in my 2000 Durango, but I will be using the cassette player output. Every cassette has a fairly obvious select switch and output wires. I haven't looked close enough to decide where I will switch it.

I made up an input for the Infinity head unit in my son's '89 LeBaron GTC convertible, but it had the CD slave input. It's very simple. One of the pins needs to be grounded for the select and the input is a pair of (+) wires and a shared ground (-). The switch I used in the '89 utilized a flip-flop and a momentary switch. I could have used a simple on/off switch, but I wanted something different. Also used an LED to show that it was selected. This was pretty simple, but I've made my living in electronics for over thirty years.

kavisiegel
02-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Just to pop in here on this. I plan on doing this with the same unit in my 2000 Durango, but I will be using the cassette player output. Every cassette has a fairly obvious select switch and output wires. I haven't looked close enough to decide where I will switch it.

I made up an input for the Infinity head unit in my son's '89 LeBaron GTC convertible, but it had the CD slave input. It's very simple. One of the pins needs to be grounded for the select and the input is a pair of (+) wires and a shared ground (-). The switch I used in the '89 utilized a flip-flop and a momentary switch. I could have used a simple on/off switch, but I wanted something different. Also used an LED to show that it was selected. This was pretty simple, but I've made my living in electronics for over thirty years.

Well, how did it go?

In the 2000 era dodge headunits, all the traces go to the same place, so you don't have to worry about what input you use. Even if you tap into the cassette wires, you can play audio when in radio mode as long as the original traces are interrupted!

JimLusk
02-29-2012, 02:21 AM
It didn't go as planned. It's not the audio that's the issue. It's making the radio think there's a tape installed so it will switch to that input. The tape player has a switch like all others, but there's also a rotary switch that appears to need to be spinning. There's also a microprocessor that actually provides the output to let the radio know. I haven't been able to find a schematic or had the time to dig deeper into it. It's kind of on the back burner now.

TheCase
04-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Hey - thanks for this write up! After many searches for the model number (I'll post to help Google along next time: P04704383AH). I found nothing about this subject until I cracked the case open and searched for the number printed on the PCB. And here I am!

I plan on starting on this some time this week, I'll do my best to document and take decent pictures. I plan to actually have two ins: one for an iPod connection (with arduino/LCD for current track display with play/pause/next controls) and another for a direct connection to a A2DP bluetooth module (instead of the FM modulation it expects me to use). Having a heck of a time finding a triple throw, dual pole switch that does on/on/on, however. Might have to settle for a couple DPDTs.

Some bad news to start: while trying to discover how I might remove the bottom/tape-deck part of the unit, the thing just snapped open while I was applying some prying force. Turns out I cracked the PCB and broke about a dozen traces on the power supply PCB (down near where the heat sink attaches to some rectifiers). After some super glue to repair the break, hours of soldering and continuity checks, I think I got it back in working order. It powers up and makes music. I suppose time will tell.

RalphP
04-17-2013, 06:20 AM
TheCase - try a rotary switch instead of a toggle. And don't sweat if you end up with a 4P3T (4 pole 3 position) switch ... you can ignore the extra poles!

RwP

TheCase
04-17-2013, 11:50 PM
So, while the previous pictures posted here were very helpful, they aren't entirely clear. I decided to take some of my own and annotate them as best as possible. I've only done the wiring portion so far. I decided to label the ends of the wires before I soldered them in, to reduce confusion later.

Another tip, use hot glue near the soldered ends of the wire to provide strain relief (not pictured).

Also included a clear schematic of how one would wire a DPDT switch for switching between Radio and AuxIn modes.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_4978.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_4978.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_4982.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_4982.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_4980.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_4980.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_4983.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_4983.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_4990.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_4990.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/schematic.png (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/schematic.png.html)

kavisiegel
04-23-2013, 06:04 PM
That is awesome! If only I could add the link to your post from the original post... It's been too long to edit.

Good job my friend, I'm glad this came in handy to someone after these years!

TheCase
04-23-2013, 06:15 PM
TheCase - try a rotary switch instead of a toggle. And don't sweat if you end up with a 4P3T (4 pole 3 position) switch ... you can ignore the extra poles!

RwP

Yup, I did just that. Thanks for the recommend. Turns out I'll be using the extra poles anyhow (so I can switch the 5v line for the iPod on/off).

Good thing have a 3D printer, it allowed me to pop out the now obsolete cigarette lighter and replace it with the rotary switch without having to hack up the switch panel:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_0048.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_0048.jpg.html)

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc467/akula169/IMG_0049.jpg (http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/akula169/media/IMG_0049.jpg.html)

Oopbuddha
05-20-2013, 05:57 AM
This is a great thread. I pulled my stereo out of my 2000 Dodge Dakota, completely disassembled it. But my stereo is different than yours. There are no labels on the PCB board. Any idea how I can find them? I have googled everything I can find on the board, but no luck.

gth31
06-02-2013, 04:22 PM
I have the same problem Oopbuddha, Im doing something similar but my 2003 Dakota has a different PCB layout and the number is completely different... Im trying to test the cd player outputs with a multimeter to find the the audio signals, but no luck so far. If anyone who has done this can share how they found them, that would be a huge help.

The part number on my CD player is P05064354AJ FYI

EDIT: Im trying to document my build and will post in here once I can get it all done. Thanks for any help guys

ksb24
10-03-2013, 03:39 PM
I have the RBK radio with buttons for disc change but no disc changer. Would this same method work on my radio?
Thanks

gth31
10-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I have the RBK radio with buttons for disc change but no disc changer. Would this same method work on my radio?
Thanks
Unfortunately not... I broke down and bought the chry04 adapter after 2 weeks of testing without success...