2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L - Spark Plugs [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7L - Spark Plugs

Midnight
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I have a 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 L. Rather than paying the dealer $125 to replace the sparkplugs, I want to replace them myself. I opened the hood and have no clue where the sparkplugs are located. I looked for the wires, but later heard they do not have wires since each plug has its own ignitor. Can someone point me in the right direction?

GOON'S D
08-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Give this page a looksie!

http://www.geocities.com/dak2nv/main.html

Jecht
08-25-2005, 03:10 AM
changing the plugs are easy. that site tells yo ueverything yo uneed to know. it took me over an hour to change mine but I didnt gap before I started lol. I dont know on the durango but my dakota the far back plug on the passenger side was a lil bit of a bitch to get to. but I think a u joint adapter can make it easier.I wonder how dealerships can sleep at night over charging for stuff.

I know my stealership started to carry amsoil. I asked how much and they said $9 a quart. looked at the guy and said I will order it online for $6 a quart good day lol

after changing the plugs in my 2.2 95 ranger I can say I can change any engines plugs. I still have nightmares over that engine lol.

99durango318
08-25-2005, 03:44 AM
changing the plugs are easy. that site tells yo ueverything yo uneed to know. it took me over an hour to change mine but I didnt gap before I started lol. I dont know on the durango but my dakota the far back plug on the passenger side was a lil bit of a bitch to get to. but I think a u joint adapter can make it easier.I wonder how dealerships can sleep at night over charging for stuff.

I know my stealership started to carry amsoil. I asked how much and they said $9 a quart. looked at the guy and said I will order it online for $6 a quart good day lol

after changing the plugs in my 2.2 95 ranger I can say I can change any engines plugs. I still have nightmares over that engine lol.

How bout on a lt1 4th gen camaro? ..... OR ever try changin spark plugs on a Diesel????..... lmao!

Jecht
08-25-2005, 03:51 AM
cant be no worse than on that ranger they put the intake manifold right over the 4 plugs. and have a hole that was barely 2 finger wide to get at the plug wire.

YAAAABUDDY03
08-26-2005, 12:02 AM
cant be no worse than on that ranger they put the intake manifold right over the 4 plugs. and have a hole that was barely 2 finger wide to get at the plug wire.

You obviously haven't heard much about changing them on camaros and such..... some people that own camaros ask themselves this question..... spark plugs or new motor. the reason why is,... you truely have to take the motor out of the car in order to put spark plugs in.

Paul

p.s. - and for the record.... (if you didn't know)... diesels don't have spark plugs.

Jecht
08-26-2005, 12:47 AM
yes I know diesels dont have spark plugs. no I havent seen a camero to change the plugs. I am still trying to figure out how to change the plugs in my wifes malibu. the front 3 are easy. the back 3 cant see the plug wires even lol. I will get it. after all never given up on a challenge that saves money :biggthump

Quil
08-28-2005, 01:54 AM
Can you buy these NGKs locally? I'm looking to change my plugs when I pull the IAC off to clean it tomorrow. Got a really rough (borderline stalling) idle right now...

Oh, and I have a 01 Trans Am WS6. I had to wait until I put headers on the car to change the plugs. Wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise.

fbama73
08-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Solution to the slowmaro spark plug problem (and many other problems)- don't buy a Chevy!

4.7 plugs are a piece of cake- easiest plug job ever on anything but a 4 cylinder, and easier than a lot of 4 bangers. I strongly recommend blowing out around the plugs once you get the coils off- they sit so far down in their holes that crud does collect down there. If you don't have a compressor, get yourself a can of compressed air.