AUX Input For Stock Stereo [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: AUX Input For Stock Stereo

SDDurango
05-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Hi All,

First post here. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find what I am looking for so here goes.

Does anyone know if the stock stereo on an '03 Durango Sport (CD w/o changer, but changer capable) has an AUX input that I can connect my MP3 player to?

I saw a post here about the '01 R/T with the Infinity stereo that had a connector for the CD changer that can be used with a special cable and lets you hook up an AUX source, but I don't know of it works on an '03 stock stereo.

Thanks,

SDDurango
05-13-2009, 01:02 AM
I think I found out the answer myself. Logjam Electronics has the CHRY02-AUX which it says is for my vehicle.

Anyone have any experience with these (or any version of them)? Is the sound quality decent or do they pick up electrical noise easily?

modain
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I have an iPod interface on my Dakota (Grom Audio) and Durango (Peripherals). They plug into the head unit using the CD-Changer connectors. There is no audio quality issue. The same stereos were used in the 2002-2004 Dakota, and 2002-2003 Durango.

If you have the RBK (sonds like your's) or RAZ (mine) radio it will work just fine. As long as the radio has cd-changer controls, doesn't have a built-in changer, and isn't a navigation unit you're good.

SDDurango
05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Modain.

I do not have a nav or a built-in changer. I do not have an iPod, but I want to link my BB Storm via either bluetooth or audio out jack, so this sounds like it should work OK.

SDDurango
05-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Modain,

How did you get your stereo out? Did you have to remove the front dash or can the stereo come out the front and if so, do you pop of the face plate?

Any help is appreciated.

TazRango
05-14-2009, 04:58 AM

SDDurango
05-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Taz,

Edit [Modain, you mentioned you have a RAZ unit, but according to the manual, it doesn't mention anything about CD changer for that model. interesting]

I think I just found out I am screwed. I am almost positive I have the RAZ radio and not the RBK. My unit has the CD changer controls on it's face, but according to the images of the radios in my manual I have an RAZ and it does not mention the changer capability for this radio. I will have to remove it to be sure and if so, I don't think I have a way of inputting external music into my stereo directly. I do not want to go the cassette adapter or FM transmitter route either. Plus I don't really want to get a new stereo H/U so, oh well!

Any ideas?

TazRango
05-15-2009, 03:20 AM

modain
05-19-2009, 03:46 AM
There were several different versions of the RAZ, depending on the year. It specifies an AM/FM/CD/Cassette with steering wheel controls and Infinity sound. They made one with and without the changer controls. As long as there are changer controls (says DISC +/- somewhere on the buttons), you can use the adapter.

The 2001 RAZ has CD/Cassette/Radio and no CD-changer controls. That was what was (factory) installed in my Durango.

The 2002+ RAZ has CD/Cassette/Radio and CD-changer controls. That was what was (factory) installed in my Dakota and retrofitted into my Durango with an additional wiring adapter.

SDDurango
05-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Guys,

I have an '03 and it has the CD changers controls on front, so it must have the connector on the back. One day soon I hope to open her up and find out for sure and then I will proceed with an AUX input adapter.

SDDurango
05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Modain, you use the Grom Audio unit ($55.00)

Taz, you use the PIE unit ($69.50)

Which IYHO's is better, or are they the same?

Thanks again!

modain
05-21-2009, 01:46 AM
I bought the Grom Audio unit from a seller on eBay 18 months ago for $85. At first I was not happy at all with the unit. I got them to send me an updated PROM that fixed some annoying problems and actually made it function like it was advertised to do.

It now lets the radio "think" there are six disks in the changer. When disk 1 is selected I have full use of the iPod controls and it plays whatever I select from the iPod. When disks 2-6 are selected it corresponds to the first five iPod playlists (strictly chosen by name collation, with no regard to type: smart or static playlist). The iPod controls are "disabled" when it is playing disks 2-6. The nice thing is when skipping through the "disks" (playlists) it'll remember the place and resume playing from the beginning of the active song when flipped back onto that playlist.

When the ignition is turned off all playlist positions revert to the beginning point. There is no song persistence with the interface without ignition power.

I have full use of the radio and steering wheel controls to skip fwd/bwd through the songs and cycle through the playlists. One problem remains with my interface: if I don't turn the stereo off before shutting down the truck the iPod will continue to play - it doesn't get paused/offed with the ignition.

For a cheap interface this seems to work well enough to warrant the purchase.

I have the Periperhals PXPD interface in my Durango and I hate it. It doesn't support multiple disks/playlists, and (most bothersome) the iPod controls are useless when connected to the stereo. They become so unresponsive and sluggish that they never go where I want to go. I have to disconnect it to make a different play selection, then plug it back in. Unless they have updated their firmware to allow it to work nicely and completely this unit is trash.

Pintail
01-30-2013, 03:51 AM
Not to revive an old post, but any word if these are still available or something better? GROM's website shows no Chrysler vehicles at all.

modain
01-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Get this unit. Under $100 and has great features. This is the unit I would buy if I needed to change what I have in my Dakota. The Durango has a completely new sound system in it so the trials I had with the Peripherals unit are history.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Spec-PA11-CHR-1998-2006-Chrusler-Dodge-Jeep-iPod-iPhone-Interface-AUX-In-/390509752757?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item5aec31f1b5&vxp=mtr