Regular or Super Grade Gas? [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: Regular or Super Grade Gas?

Harley
03-08-2009, 05:46 PM
I have a 01 Rango R/T 5.9 AWD and was wondering is it ok to put regular unleaded gas in or should I be putting in super unleaded? Thanks

blwn318
03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
93 or it will start pinging

2K1DurangoR/T
03-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Never had a problem with pinging while using 87 in my '01 R/T.

Try a tank of 87, if it pings, you'll have to use 93.

blwn318
03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
guess it depends on how you drive it. my R/T rango hated life if it wasn't 93

Harley
03-08-2009, 06:47 PM
I will regular a try and see how it performs. I don't drive hard so hopefully it wont matter. Thanks for the input

Neil
03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok first, does your filler door have a Premimum Only sticker or have mention in the owners manual?

Early Durango R/Ts (not Dakotas) had a unique PCM that required premimum. Eventually the PCM was changed to the standard SLT 5.9 PCM. The change over was supposed to be sometime in late 01.

If yours states premimum you should use it else you will have pinging. If you do not require premimum, running a higher grade than necessary is a waste of mone. You will not gain power from running higher grades.

MopaRamling
03-16-2009, 06:30 AM
i use mid-grade on my '01 5.9 SLT+. same engine and have no problems at all. may be switching to super for peace of mind though. i advice to saty away from regular. you get more carbon build up in the long run.

DarksideJedi
03-16-2009, 06:49 AM
I use regular in my 01 Durango R/T without any pinging. Mine doesn't require premium :banana2: but I will occasionally top it off with premium

Mastec
03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
I have an 01 R/T, have always used regular with no pinging. But as Darkside, I occasionally add premium.

70Cuda383
03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
i use mid-grade on my '01 5.9 SLT+. same engine and have no problems at all. may be switching to super for peace of mind though. i advice to saty away from regular. you get more carbon build up in the long run.

more carbon build up?

where'd you get that information from?

guys, gas is the same. it's all the same. the octane rating simply implies how hot or cold the fuel will "flash burn" the higher the octane, the higher the "flash point" is.

it also tends to burn a little slower because of this.

running a higher octane than you need can actually HURT performance because the fuel is not burning as fast as it would with a lower octane. the reason that you need the higher octane/higher flash point in high performance engines is because they burn so hot and tend to have more "squeeze" that you need a fuel that is resistant to spontaneously igniting (causing knock)

It's funny how many people seem to think that "regular gas" is somehow different, or dirty comapred to "premium" gas, and they get upset when they hear that "mid-grade" is just regular mixed with premium, and they argue that you should just get premium instead.

It's all thesame stuff!

its like water...if you need to provide 3 temperatures, cold, warm, and hot, what would you do? have 3 sets of tanks, pumps, hoses, etc. so you can have a tank of each? or would you simply have 2 tanks, and mix the hot and cold water together at the pump in order to deliver "warm" water?

the gas is the same way. it's ok to mix the octane ratings to get what you want, because it's all the same stuff anyway.

Neil
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
The above is exactly correct. There is no benefit of throwing away using higher grade when you engine does not require it.

Many years ago the higher grades were advertised as have detergents but all grades now have the same cleaners.

bwdakrt
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I've always run 87 in my R/T because that's what the PCM is tuned for from the factory. Now, if you have upgraded to a MP PCM, had the PCM flashed or have Superchips with it tuned to 'performance' or 'towing', then use the higher octane. Otherwise, you're just pissing away your money.

hskrRT
03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
its like water...if you need to provide 3 temperatures, cold, warm, and hot, what would you do? have 3 sets of tanks, pumps, hoses, etc. so you can have a tank of each? or would you simply have 2 tanks, and mix the hot and cold water together at the pump in order to deliver "warm" water?

Unless the 89 is the ethanol blend and the regular and super don't have ethanol, then there are three separate tanks.

But everything else is true. You will actually get better performance out of lower octane gas as long as you don't start getting detonation. I've been running 89 in mine over the winter since I don't get on it as much, and before the new motor went in, even with the Mopar PCM, I always ran 89 and never had a problem. With the new motor in the summer at WOT, I get slight detonation on 89, so it gets 91 during the summer.

Kaos002
03-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Cleaner gas, Cleaner engine. Cleaner buning gas, better perfomance. Not having a lead foot, Longevety. :)

TurboBlew
03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
more carbon build up?

guys, gas is the same. it's all the same. the octane rating simply implies how hot or cold the fuel will "flash burn" the higher the octane, the higher the "flash point" is.

running a higher octane than you need can actually HURT performance because the fuel is not burning as fast as it would with a lower octane. the reason that you need the higher octane/higher flash point in high performance engines is because they burn so hot and tend to have more "squeeze" that you need a fuel that is resistant to spontaneously igniting (causing knock)

It's funny how many people seem to think that "regular gas" is somehow different, or dirty comapred to "premium" gas, and they get upset when they hear that "mid-grade" is just regular mixed with premium, and they argue that you should just get premium instead.

It's all thesame stuff!

the gas is the same way. it's ok to mix the octane ratings to get what you want, because it's all the same stuff anyway.

negative rep for accurate info!!!!!!!!! Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bump:

TurboBlew
03-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Cleaner gas, Cleaner engine. Cleaner buning gas, better perfomance. Not having a lead foot, Longevety. :)

You use Seafoam too?????????

I buy it by the gallon!!!!
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/217841/fullsize/Sea%20Foam%20Can.JPG

TurboBlew
03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I've always run 87 in my R/T because that's what the PCM is tuned for from the factory. Now, if you have upgraded to a MP PCM, had the PCM flashed or have Superchips with it tuned to 'performance' or 'towing', then use the higher octane. Otherwise, you're just pissing away your money.

negative rep for exposing a conspiracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bump:

Kaos002
03-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Hahaha Water works pretty good to..:bump:

MopaRamling
03-22-2009, 03:22 AM

you too?:bump: that's some good stuff.

funny how we all think differently about different things. i stand behind what i said earlier.:woot:

Mastec
03-22-2009, 03:55 AM
more carbon build up?

It's all thesame stuff!

You are exactly right. My brother in law runs a company that hauls gas, he has mentioned this as well.

realdeal7369
03-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Hahaha Water works pretty good to..:bump:

dont start that shit. he'll jump all over you like he did me about that topic.

Kaos002
03-23-2009, 07:15 PM
dont start that shit. he'll jump all over you like he did me about that topic.

Oops hahah :bump: