6 to 5 lug [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum

: 6 to 5 lug

AndrewR/T
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Anyone have any clue or idea on how to change out the stock 6 lugs on my r/t for 5 lugs so I can slap on some 20'' srt10 rims?

BOOM_FIST
12-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Google is our friend!

Adapters:

http://adaptitusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=10

Jarheadoo7
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
just use a sledge and knock a lug off!

BOOM_FIST
12-22-2008, 08:05 PM
just use a sledge and knock a lug off!

That's the cheapest way anyways. I'd do it if I were trying to do a 5 lug conversion. :jester:

spastic88
12-27-2008, 05:24 AM
+1 on the adapters. I just switched to chevy rims (I got a badass deal on Mickey Thompson Class locks that were chevy pattern) at first I was sketched out with the whole adapter idea. Theyve held up amazing so far, and were actually very high quality, Ive done some light off roading and no problems yet. Everything went on perfect. They did however make my wheels stick out about 2 inches past my flares. (in my opinion, I love the way it looks :mullet:) but just a heads up. ill get some pics this weekend :wave:

ColoDak
12-27-2008, 01:12 PM
just a reminder, many shops will not work on vehicles with adaptors or spacers installed. I've been thinking of doing the samething, none of the reputable shops will touch the truck if I do. this includes if you install everything yourself and later need the tires serviced while on the truck.

slow99rt
01-02-2009, 06:19 AM
viper wheels there bud.. prolly be easier in the long run and look better

spastic88
01-02-2009, 06:03 PM
I just realized Im a retard. I didnt switch to a 5 lug. I switched to a 6x5.5 pattern. DOH

suprchgd99rango
01-03-2009, 06:16 AM
wtf u need to switch to 5 lug for? they have 6 lugs on a viper and they make imitation 6 lug viper rims.

Blak92Dak
01-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, if you really want to, you can have done what I did. I had a machine shop weld up a couple of the holes in my front hub flanges (4x4) and then redrill for 5x4.5 to run the rims that I wanted on my truck... had a hard time finding something that wouldnt stick out as bad on my genII 4x4 as RT wheels did. I just pressed the flange out and gave that to them... I think that they only welded up 2 holes that were right inbetween where the new one should be. The rotors, not a big deal, just drilled the new whole despite the position of the originals.

SDCE
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
This is a question a customer just asked me actually.

Can you just swap the front knuckle/hub from a regular Dakota, or are they completely different?

The rear end wouldn't be that big of a deal, I was getting custom axles built for him anyway, and then switching to rear discs.

klintok
01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
This is a question a customer just asked me actually.

Can you just swap the front knuckle/hub from a regular Dakota, or are they completely different?

The rear end wouldn't be that big of a deal, I was getting custom axles built for him anyway, and then switching to rear discs.

gen I dakotas are the only with 5 x 4.5 lugs. the problem is, their lower control arm goes up from the bottom of spindle where as gen III goes down from top. plus the gen I arm is about 1/2" shorter than gen III.
im actually thinking of this, but i'm not sure yet. need to get to buddies house to take measurements.

Blak92Dak
01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
What do the 2wd hubs look like? Why couldnt you just take them off and weld/redrill them like I did my 4x4 flanges?

klintok
01-09-2009, 03:13 AM
you can, as far as i know
personally i just want to find a set of rotors that will work with the converted hub. i dont want to have to send out a set od rotors when i need to change them.
that and i would like to have narrowed control arms, which the gen I arms will give me. but im still weighing the options

hotrod
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
iI did this conversion on my 2000 dakota i could not find rotors that would at a resonable price so i just redrilled the stock ones and they worked fine the rear i bought new axles and used gen 1 rear drums. I have since went back to the stock 6 lugs but i do have the axles and drums for sale if some one is interested.

fzmax
01-16-2009, 06:20 PM
iI did this conversion on my 2000 dakota i could not find rotors that would at a resonable price so i just redrilled the stock ones and they worked fine the rear i bought new axles and used gen 1 rear drums. I have since went back to the stock 6 lugs but i do have the axles and drums for sale if some one is interested.

I'm interested. What axles did you get and for what model axle?

hotrod
01-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I purchased axles from Dutchman motorsports they made them to the stock specs accept for the lug pattern which is 5x4.5 and these are for a 9.25 rear same rear that comes stock on an R/T. I currently have them listed on Ebay right now.

blu4door
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
wtf u need to switch to 5 lug for? they have 6 lugs on a viper and they make imitation 6 lug viper rims.

I think he wants the ram srt10 wheels. I agree with the OP, they look better than the viper wheels. I was actually thinking about this myself. Although I was thinking I could just swap out the rear from a newer dakota. I'm not sure if there is any difference or not since I haven't really looked into it.

caulk04
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
SRT-10 Ram wheels are 22" anyway. Too damn big for these trucks, especially a lowered R/T. That's just opinion...treat it as such.

blu4door
01-21-2009, 02:34 PM
SRT-10 Ram wheels are 22" anyway. Too damn big for these trucks, especially a lowered R/T. That's just opinion...treat it as such.

The actual ones are 22" but you can get a replica in a 20". You just can't get the replica in a 6 bolt pattern.

Mjr Minor
11-03-2009, 04:11 AM
Ok as a team here; lets look at what the 05-current dakota's will help us out with. If you go this way then you buy replacement parts as opposed to having to look for five different places to get parts then if you want to up grade the size of rotors then you go with the model year that you replaced it with. Anyone know anynone that can help us out with this getting measurments or finding out if Dodge changed all the suspensions or just the knuckle and hub along with rear axle shafts?

mk1ofmnm
11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
My Jan 2010 issue of Four-Wheeler magazine has an article on a 2003 Durango 2wd that the owner converted to 5 lug. On the front he used 2002 Dodge 1500 front hubs bolted to the Durango spindles and on the rear he said he changed to 2006 Dakota axles. It also mentions that he changed to larger F-150 rotors & calipers but, doesn't say what modifications it took to make them fit.

Mjr Minor
11-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah amazingly enough the 05 and up Dakota is WAY bigger on the front knuckle and hub bearing assembly. Nothing will interchange from the 05 and up to the precious years. I had a buddy at LKQ auto parts that had that info from a Body shopThat tried that.

Kotadude
11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Im running short on time to see if this was already mentioned so I will just post it lol..

Viper Rims!
The front wheels off of any viper will fit on all 4 corners of the Dakota.
But if you want the wide ass rear wheels in the rear.. I saw a how-to-do on that..
saw out the rear fender wells.. install some fender wells from a 80's Chevy (deeper wells).. and the guy had to take out the leaf springs and weld in a set of coil overs

IN FACT! The truck is on youtube..
View the sexy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHhI7wAnjck

USMCdakota
12-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Hey whats going on? yes I am def interested in your set up for 5 lugs...please shoot me an email. I will pm you my info.

Thanks,
Dale

AmberFireDaK
12-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Don't use adapters to convert.... do it right and get the stock hubs re drilled for whatever pattern you want

Mopar4Life
12-31-2009, 12:09 AM
Don't use adapters to convert.... do it right and get the stock hubs re drilled for whatever pattern you want

Exactly what he said...I'm doing mine when I buy new wheels

12-31-2009, 02:29 AM
My Jan 2010 issue of Four-Wheeler magazine has an article on a 2003 Durango 2wd that the owner converted to 5 lug. On the front he used 2002 Dodge 1500 front hubs bolted to the Durango spindles and on the rear he said he changed to 2006 Dakota axles. It also mentions that he changed to larger F-150 rotors & calipers but, doesn't say what modifications it took to make them fit.
That's Suspman's durango, he is full of good information and willing to share it. He's been talking about his suspension to me through PM's.
He's useing an 01 Ram 2wd hub on his 03 durango spindles, they use the same inner bearing assembly. He's using f150 rotors that were machined to fit the ram unit bearing.
In his words "the only bolt pattern issue is the front hub flange is 3/16" thinner than the thick Durango one so the mounting surface comes in some but with my arms of 3" over it helped keep the contact patch in line with the spindle joints so less scrub radius. I also had to even mod the f150 front rortors cuz their bolt circle diameter was a "metric" 5.5 so I had a buddy with a mill open em up precisely. The rear rotors I just redrilled new stockers and made one hole siamese an the others had plenty of meat."

Here's his article, badass.
http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/1001or_2003_dodge_durango/index.html

Mopar4Life
12-31-2009, 02:47 AM
Wow insane...and I took a wild guess on swapping axle shafts and hubs and I was right...damn lol too bad that's for a 5x5.5 pattern

The only thing that sucks is that the front hubs are thinner. I'm assuming they are the same as 03/04 Dakotas?

koda crazy
02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I purchased axles from Dutchman motorsports they made them to the stock specs accept for the lug pattern which is 5x4.5 and these are for a 9.25 rear same rear that comes stock on an R/T. I currently have them listed on Ebay right now.
still for sale? let me know thanks

99fabtechdrango
02-25-2010, 11:40 PM

BINGO! i read the same article it was on a long travel durango. rear axle shafts from the 06 and the ram 1500 front hubs. the only difference is the ram hubs stick out 1/4" further i beleive it said in the article. i was planning on doing the same swap until my gf wrecked the durango

badkarma0128
08-31-2011, 02:51 AM
i saw the catalog for the cervini's sniper kit on there dak and noticed its sitting on 5 lug rimms, ones id love to bolt on to my 2001, but im assuming photoshop here? and as for them in general, wish they would get the led out and hook up us quad can owners with the sniper side kits, love the whole exhaust behind the rear tires

badkarma0128
08-31-2011, 03:00 AM
https://www.cervinis.com/large.aspx?img=693_1_big.png

Xxaler
08-31-2011, 03:48 AM
Nah, totally not photo-shopped.

Real men run 30 toe in.

badkarma0128
08-31-2011, 06:29 AM
after doing some research i read that the dodge caliber has the same front rotors as my 2001 with the 5 lug pattern, can anyone conferm this, was told they even bolt right up perfect match, but that leaves the rear ...it there an easy solution to doing the rear, even just replacing the whole rear end, i see alot of people suggesting the 3arly gen1_gen2's, wouold one out of a v8 work? a little more narrowed then the factory in mine would be nice as well since i plan on runnind a size or 2 wider rim size that will tuck nicely once bagged?

kunzy420
09-03-2011, 06:15 AM
after doing some research i read that the dodge caliber has the same front rotors as my 2001 with the 5 lug pattern, can anyone conferm this, was told they even bolt right up perfect match, but that leaves the rear ...it there an easy solution to doing the rear, even just replacing the whole rear end, i see alot of people suggesting the 3arly gen1_gen2's, wouold one out of a v8 work? a little more narrowed then the factory in mine would be nice as well since i plan on runnind a size or 2 wider rim size that will tuck nicely once bagged?

Im in the process of 5 lug swapping my 3rd gen. Im bagged and cant find crap for rims that will tuck. Front I just had the hubs redrilled, same with rotors. Back I had the axles redrilled and ill run 1st gen drums. bolt pattern is 5x4.5 now I can run rims with a fwd offset...+40mm or more. A lotttttt more rims choices.