Loud whining noise!! [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum

: Loud whining noise!!

cmpwiz
11-20-2008, 01:29 AM
Hi guys my truck has a very loud whining noise coming from outside. The funny thing is that when i go to let of the gas the whining goes away??? If i put the truck into neutral it stops making the noise.... It does get alot louder when i speed up to 70+ and when i come to a stop my truck makes that same whining noise but much louder and also seems to slow my truck alot faster??? Do you think my torque converter is locked up.. (by the way its a 92 dodge dakota sport with the 3.9 auto tranny with OD) Well any idea's on what this could be would be much appreciated :)

bwdakrt
11-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Sounds like the pinion bearings in the rear diff. Been there, done that!

tjbugs1
11-21-2008, 01:52 AM
You didn't run over any small children did you? J/K Did you check your tranny fluid? When you come to a stop and put it in neutral and rev it up does it still make the noise?

Little Blue Guy
11-21-2008, 02:54 AM
Sounds like the trans is on it's way out.....those were very weak transmissions.

cmpwiz
11-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Yeah today i tried the putting it in nutreal thing and it didnt make the noise. So i tried putting it in drive and pushing on the gad a bit with my foot on the brake and it started making it.. i did so to eliminate it being my rearend.. So im pretty sure its my tranny.. Is there a way i could limp it by till spring or should i start shoping for a tranny lol.. Thanks for the input :D

Metal Hed
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
if your truck happens to be 2 wheel drive i have a transmission sittin in a 92 dakota and id be glad to sell it to ya, where in wisconsin are you located?

cmpwiz
11-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Pm Sent to Metal Hed

cmpwiz
11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok well i changed my filter and fluid today on the tranny and still nothing... Now the tranny shifts even better than before lol... Now i think it's my rear end. It looks extremely wet around the gasket.. so maybe low on fluid?? My question is how much and what kind of fluid does it use?? Also, what kind of rear end is it so i can look up gears just in case they are worn.

bwdakrt
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok well i changed my filter and fluid today on the tranny and still nothing... Now the tranny shifts even better than before lol... Now i think it's my rear end. It looks extremely wet around the gasket.. so maybe low on fluid?? My question is how much and what kind of fluid does it use?? Also, what kind of rear end is it so i can look up gears just in case they are worn.

If it's your pinion bearings in the rear diff going out, you are wasting your money on adding or changing fluid. I've had to change mine twice in 64K so it's a pretty common thing to go wrong. Have a mechanic check it out before you start wasting money on a fluid change.

cmpwiz
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
ok if you think it's a waste of time and money then i will just get the pinion bearings and put them in myself lol... I am my own mechanic lol. Now how do i know what rearend i have so i can order some?

bwdakrt
11-24-2008, 10:21 PM
ok if you think it's a waste of time and money then i will just get the pinion bearings and put them in myself lol... I am my own mechanic lol. Now how do i know what rearend i have so i can order some?

Count the bolts on the rear diff cover.
10 bolts = 8.25
12 bolts = 9.25
With yours being a '92, my guess is it's a 8.25. Look in the glove box for a sticker and it should be on there.

plum95
11-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Pinion bearings are best left to someone that knows what they are doing. judging by the fact you don't know what rear end you have it might be cheaper in the long run to just have a pro do it the first time.

they didn't put a 9.25 in the genII you'll have either an 8.25 or I have seen some info that makes me think a 7.25 may have been an option but I've never seen one myself.

Little Blue Guy
11-25-2008, 02:07 AM
I thought you said it made the noise in drive but not in neutral? If it makes noise in gear, and the truck ain't moving, it can't be the rear end.

tjbugs1
11-25-2008, 02:37 AM
I thought you said it made the noise in drive but not in neutral? If it makes noise in gear, and the truck ain't moving, it can't be the rear end.

What if he was to cost down a hill in neutral would that help to isolate the noise or would the the gears just spin freely? :huh:

plum95
11-25-2008, 02:42 AM
if it makes noise when the rear tires are not moving then it isn't the rear axle

Little Blue Guy
11-25-2008, 03:09 AM
if it makes noise when the rear tires are not moving then it isn't the rear axle

Yea...kinda what my point was...if ya read his post above, he said it made noise in gear, not in neutral

plum95
11-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Yea...kinda what my point was...if ya read his post above, he said it made noise in gear, not in neutral

I saw that after you posted. He didn't really say he wasn't moving when he did that but it's probably safe to assume he was, then again you never know.

cmpwiz
11-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Ok as i stated above it only makes the noise when moving not in one spot... I had origanaly thought it did it when in park but found that it was a exhaust rattle that i fixed today... So when in nuetral it does not make the noise reving it or not, while moving.. When i let up on the gas it quits making the noise.. and then when i give it gas again it makes it again... It does make less of a noise the harder i push the throttle, but as i leave up off the gas slowly the noise gets louder until under 15 mph. It seems no matter what gear i am in it makes the noise and as i go faster it makes the noise more. My rearend has the 10 bolt pattern which i found out earlier is the 8.25. Now as said before it shifts awsome really smooth and clean feelin. I also noticed if i touch on the gas just a little bit and let off and do it again it makes a rattling noise along with the origanal whining noise.. So from experiance with other vehicles to me would be a pinion bearing as someone else has stated but im just going to change the fluid and put a new seal on it.. If this doesn't cure the problem i will be ordering a gear kit for it. Sorry for all the misdirected words as i am new to dodges and wanted to get opinions from guys that are more familier to them than i. ty and would love to hear more ideas

bwdakrt
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
From my past experience with this problem, when you let off the gas, the load is taken off the bearings and the whine goes away. Give it some gas putting the load back on the bearings and the whine comes back. Been there, done that twice already.

96BlkDak
11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
ok everyone is dancing around this and only found out 4 things.

1 does it make noise when in park or neutral? no
2 does it make noise when in gear and rolling? yes
3 does it make noise when you let off the gas when rolling? no
4 does it make noise in gear when not moving? yes

how about these questions too? Not that Im a great mechanic (far from it) Im just good at asking questions and trouble shooting stuff.

5 does it make the noise in reverse?
6 is the rear diff topped off with fluid?
7 when you chenged the tranny fluid and filter did you drain the torque converter?
8 have you greased your u-joints lately?

cmpwiz
11-25-2008, 11:44 PM
5 does it make the noise in reverse? Yes it does

6 is the rear diff topped off with fluid? I am changing it tonight he shortly :D

7 when you chenged the tranny fluid and filter did you drain the torque converter? Nope just whatever was in pan.

8 have you greased your u-joints lately? Nope... They seem tight so i really didnt worry about it :P

I will let you guys know if it goes away by changing the fluid later tonight.. if not back to trouble shooting further :P

Little Blue Guy
11-26-2008, 02:19 AM
ok everyone is dancing around this and only found out 4 things.

1 does it make noise when in park or neutral? no
2 does it make noise when in gear and rolling? yes
3 does it make noise when you let off the gas when rolling? no
4 does it make noise in gear when not moving? yes

#4 tells me it's tranny...rear end in stationary...not moving

cmpwiz
11-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Well guys.. I changed the fluid today and guess what... The noise is gone!!!! I pulled the diff cover off to find that it maybe had... A quarter of a quart in there that was some of the nastiest smelling, black fluid i have ever seen lol.. Now the noise is still there but its very faint.. I think with over time it will either go away.. or just stay there lol. The ring and pinion looked quite a bit worn but nothin that wont last me till spring ^^ Well thank you all for the help.. it was all very much appreiciated and i'll be around in more posts to come :D

Little Blue Guy
11-26-2008, 05:45 AM
:huh:

plum95
11-26-2008, 06:38 AM
#4 tells me it's tranny...rear end in stationary...not moving

:huh:

I think that one was misinterpreted it sounded to me like he was moving while trying stuff.