How do you bleed the steering system? [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: How do you bleed the steering system?

graham
03-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I don't have good luck with anything that requires bleeding. First the clutch now this, I don't plan on touching the brakes.

OK, so I changed my power steering pump because it has been leaking like crazy. Here is what I did and it still turns like there is no power at all.

1. Nothing
2. Hooked everything up, topped it off and let it idle while moving the tires back and forth (with it jacked up)
3. Took off return line, cranked motor, got clear fluid
3. Took off return line and cranked wheels back and forth slowly
4. Took pressure releif valve out of old pump and put in new pump
5. Wasted a bunch of power steering fluid and gasoline.

Anyone have any more tips or do I have a defective pump?

Thanks

pirahnah3
03-16-2008, 01:37 PM
you could still possibly have a bubble in the rack, or the rack itself could be having issues.

Ranger50
03-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Does it have no assist through the range or just in one spot?

Also, did you do your #2 line with the cap on or off?

Brian

hskrRT
03-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I can't say I've ever had a problem with just running the truck and turning the wheels back and forth. And I've had my power steering system run completely dry before. As mentioned, your rack could be going bad.

thegreendak
03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
when i did my ps pump, i didnt evenm bleed the lines... idk if i was supposed to but all i did was leave the cap off the res. and move it back and forth until it quit bubbling,,, goodluck

graham
03-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Does it have no assist through the range or just in one spot?

Also, did you do your #2 line with the cap on or off?

Brian

There is no assist anywhere

Did it with the cap off

The rack has been replaced within the last 6,000 miles

ColoDak
03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
well, luckily I happen to have my trusty factory service manual nearby (why I can't remember). But according to this:

Insufficient Asst. or Poor Return to Center:

Low Fluid, Loose Belt, Low Pump Pressure, Internal Gear Leak are all listed as the mainpossible culprits.

The procedure the show for service is as follows:
1. Turn steering wheel allthe way to the left
2. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two(2) minutes
3. Raise the front wheels off the ground
4.Slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock 20 times with the engine off while checking the fluid level

NOTE VEHICLES WITH LONG RETURN LINES OR OIL COOLERS TURN THE WHEEL 40 TIMES

5. Start the engine. With the engine idling maintain the fluid level.
6. Lower the front wheels and let the engine idle for 2 minutes.
7. Turnt he steering wheel in both direction and verify power assist and quiet operation of the pump.

If the fluid is extremely foamy or mily looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure.

00RedRT
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Where did you purchase your new pump from?

graham
03-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Hrm, OK, I am about ready to head back out there and I will give it a try. If I can't get it to work this time I am just going to put my old pump back on. The last thing I tried last night was disconnecting the return line and slowly move the wheels back and forth until it was coming out of the return line. I hook the line back up to the pump and it instantly turned foamy once I started the truck. I turned it off to let the foam settle then it never did anything else after that. Thanks for the help. My chiltons manual just said to let it idle with the wheels straight then slowly go from one side to the other.

I got the pump at autozone.

00RedRT
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
I got the pump at autozone.

I'll never buy another remanufactured PS pump from AutoZone again, I went through this 2 years ago... http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showpost.php?p=291816&postcount=4

caulk04
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Yeah, sounds like a bad pump to me.

I've flushed the fluid in my truck and my fiance's Jetta by dropping the return line into a bottle and running it till the pump whines so it's empty, then I just fill the resevoir and repeat till clean. Refill, run, top off, run top off.

I can't imagine it being much/any different with a 'new' pump.

Boomin5POINT9
03-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Had the same thing happen, pump went bad, bought a reman'd, burnt up in less than 2 days, bought a brand new one, never had a problem! You didn't start it with no fluid in it did you, because that can burn it up real fast!

graham
03-25-2008, 04:46 AM
OK, I figured it out and feel pretty stupid now. I ended up pulling the pump off again and pulled out the piece that holds the pressure release valve in. I compared it with the old one and found the O-ring was in the wrong spot. You can see in the picture the O-ring in the correct location but when I pulled it out of the pump right out of the box the ring was on the second lip down covering that hole. My guess is that it wasn't able to build pressure. I am now leak free.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/tgraham/misc/IMG_2415.jpg