Headers: Shorties vs Full Length [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum

: Headers: Shorties vs Full Length

47SLTDuRide
02-24-2005, 04:57 PM
What are the performance differences? I see the market in headers for the DC trucks are mostly made up of shorties whereas Doug Thorley headers are full length tri-y. Anyone prefer one over the other or have used both at one time or another? I'd appreciate your feedback and hope to base my future purchase on one design. Thanks.

Joshua

SinCity R/T
02-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Shorty headers will typically help your low end power, but don't add as much mid to top end power as mid/full-length headers.

Shorty headers are more convenient for mating back up to your stock y-pipe/cats/exhaust system, whereas the longer headers may require some creative fabrication through the rest of the exhaust.

47SLTDuRide
02-24-2005, 07:03 PM
So for typical street driving, shorties are practical and for highway and racing, full length headers are the ones to use. So if I go for a full length header, I'll be losing bottom end power? If so, what can I do to improve my bottom end as far as other mods?

Any difference in MPG? Increase? Decrease?

Thanks SinCity for your input!

Joshua

YAAAABUDDY03
02-24-2005, 11:43 PM
Seeing that your screen name has the two numbers... 4 and 7 makes me think that you have the 4.7L v8 motor. Just to clear up some things. No one has made a set of longtube headers for your engine. Trust me.... if there was... I'd have a pair. Headers in general are going to add to your performance... no matter how you slice it. ALTHOUGH.... don't get headers, intake, exhaust and leave it at that. If you get headers, inorder to see the full benefits you must either cam your truck, or boost your truck. I wouldn't even worry about getting headers until the day you throw a set of cams in her.

Paul

dgc333
02-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Shorty headers will typically help your low end power, but don't add as much mid to top end power as mid/full-length headers.

Shorty headers are more convenient for mating back up to your stock y-pipe/cats/exhaust system, whereas the longer headers may require some creative fabrication through the rest of the exhaust.

Just the opposite! Shorties will help in the upper rpm ranges where full length enhance power in the lower rpm range.

Some rule of thumb info on headers;

The diameter of the header tubes will establish the rpm at which peak torque will occur. The larger the diameter the higher the rpm at which the peak will occur and vise verse for smaller diameters.

The lenght of the tubes will rock the torque curve around this point. So if you want to enhance the the low end use longer tubes and shorter tubes enhance the the higher rpms.

Also, the length of the collector will tend to ehance the lower rpm power.

The primary reason you see more shorty type headers for new vehicles is to minimize the fitment issues and less impact on the emissions equipment making it easier to get an EPA and CAFE exemption so they can be legally installed.

9c1 owner
02-25-2005, 02:13 AM
Seeing that your screen name has the two numbers... 4 and 7 makes me think that you have the 4.7L v8 motor. Just to clear up some things. No one has made a set of longtube headers for your engine. Trust me.... if there was... I'd have a pair. Headers in general are going to add to your performance... no matter how you slice it. ALTHOUGH.... don't get headers, intake, exhaust and leave it at that. If you get headers, inorder to see the full benefits you must either cam your truck, or boost your truck. I wouldn't even worry about getting headers until the day you throw a set of cams in her.

Paul

i belive Dan at Clear Image Automotive makes a set of mid-or short length headers for your 4.7's and 5.9's :mullet: http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Dodge%20Dakota.htm

WicKed R/T
02-25-2005, 02:21 AM
i belive Dan at Clear Image Automotive makes a set of mid-or short length headers for your 4.7's and 5.9's :mullet: http://www.clearimageautomotive.com/Dodge%20Dakota.htm

Those only work for the 5.2 and 5.9

47SLTDuRide
02-25-2005, 04:00 PM
http://www.thorleyheaders.com/chrysler_headers.html

Isn't the 2000-2003 Dakota 4.7L basically the same as the 4.7L Durango? So wouldn't the Thorley full length headers fit the Durango?

YAAAABUDDY03
02-26-2005, 06:06 PM
http://www.thorleyheaders.com/chrysler_headers.html

Isn't the 2000-2003 Dakota 4.7L basically the same as the 4.7L Durango? So wouldn't the Thorley full length headers fit the Durango?

I have never heard of Thorley Headers before. And plus... when you click on their link for that application... it says not found for me. *shrugs*

IMO.... a good header and a good y-pipe will do just the same. I wouldn't worry about trying to get long-tubes.

Paul

-=ChAoS=-
02-26-2005, 06:56 PM
That leaves a question unanswered though. What are the differences between the Durango and Dakota 4.7 engines? In my searches, I often find stuff listed as available for the Durango, but not for the Dakota.

Anyone have thoughts?

SinCity R/T
02-26-2005, 07:00 PM
The upper portion of the headers are almost always identical for all models with the same engine, the reason there are different models is because of the way the pipes head downward under the truck to mate up to the exhaust pipes. Whether you have 2WD/4WD/Dakota/Durango/etc. there may be different items in the way of the pipes or they have to be made slightly longer/shorter to clear properly.

-=ChAoS=-
02-27-2005, 07:08 AM
And for other stuff? Example: I found a nice set of nerf bars, but the application listed durango and not dakota. I thought the durango was based on the dakota?

BlackdakotaR/T
03-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Hey guys I have been wanting to get headers on my rt for awhile but have been having trouble trying to figure out what kind I want. I want to get the most horsepower and torque but dont know what headers will do this. Also I know I can install the headers myself, how difficult is it, want to know just incase I am in over my head and need to take it to someone. And what is a reasonable price to have em istalled by someone?

Mike

360 xrt
03-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I can only speak for 98-99 R/Ts.IMO full length w/y-pipe is the only way to go.I haven't purchased mine yet but locked in a price last week for $528 at a local dealership (price matched a mail order place) I'm still debating doing this myself,just don't know if I want to tackle the old bolts and studs (has anybody fought the studs i've heard horrer stories).One speed shop in my area said $400 complete job welding included.IF anyone has done this install please reply.

Neil
03-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Hey guys I have been wanting to get headers on my rt for awhile but have been having trouble trying to figure out what kind I want. I want to get the most horsepower and torque but dont know what headers will do this. Also I know I can install the headers myself, how difficult is it, want to know just incase I am in over my head and need to take it to someone. And what is a reasonable price to have em istalled by someone?

Mike

GS Motorsports http://www.gsmotorsports.com has the ultimate headers but they are very expensive. Unless you are planning some really big engine mods, they really may not be worth the $$$ for you. The Mopar headers are the next best choice. There is dyno info on the site.

Col02Rango
04-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Pauldon't listen to this guy.... headers and a full exhaust (replacing/removing cats, dual 2.5") will help out even without camming or boosting your truck.... I think he means you'l see better gains if you boosted or cammed it, but you'll certainly be happy with the added power/sound of headers and an exhaust.