2004 durango stalling problems [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: 2004 durango stalling problems

bradally
02-09-2005, 05:28 PM
has anyone else suffered the same problems? I have a 2004 durango it it has
3 serious issues. 1 stalling cutting out at highway speeds!!! 2 no power steering when cold. 3 poor transmission shifting!!!
Please let me know, Brad ny

GOON'S D
02-09-2005, 05:57 PM
I think that a trip back to the service deparment to smack them around should do the trick. All that should be covered under warranty, no?

georgettie
02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I have a 2000 dodge durango that has stalled on me 3 times going down the road. It started after a bulldog remote starter was put on. Does yours also have a remote starter?? The manufacturer (bulldog) said that it can't be caused by the remote starter. Have you found a reason for your's stalling?

Anthony
02-19-2005, 02:24 PM
George has it been stalling when you come to a stop??

georgettie
02-20-2005, 01:38 AM
Anthony,
not when i come to a stop, actually driving down the road, it's not just stalling, all power cuts out, no instrument cluster lights, as if i've turned the ignition off

rockadaous
02-20-2005, 03:32 AM
mine was stalling. the fix was the IAC valve. I think mine was during idle more than anything

bradally
02-21-2005, 08:58 PM
The problem is that it is intermitent and 1 week the car is fine
The next week it will stall at highway speeds. It has been almost
and the dealer cannot figure it out yet. No check engine lights
or codes. I think the car has design flaws in the PCM or wiring harness.
They already changed the PCM once at 80 miles! It now has 7500 miles
on it.

Anton
03-10-2005, 01:14 AM
I have been experiencing the same intermittent stalling problem with a HEMI Durango (1000 miles on the clock).

It has stalled three times in the last two weeks - fortunately all three times in parking lots. I am concerned that this could lead to an accident if it happens at speed. Does any one know what the cause is and how it can be fixed?

h-d
03-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Anton,

Take it to the dealer and start documenting everything. I also have a 2005 Durango, and had it in the shop on Monday and had it back today. The Dealer states they never heard of this problem.

Talked to the dealership where I originally purchased it and they are going to look at it next Monday. I havenít taken it there yet because this other one is closer.

Its like they donít believe me or something. I canít believe they would give it back without finding the problem. I guess they donít get paid too much for doing warranty work so they donít care. What ever happened to the days where a mechanic knew tips and tricks and didnít rely on only diagnostics to give them all of the answers?

I figure every time it stalls I will take it back to them.

By the way has anyone had their 2005 Hemi Stalling problem fixed?

DurangoDude
03-12-2005, 09:21 PM
has anyone else suffered the same problems? I have a 2004 durango it it has
3 serious issues. 1 stalling cutting out at highway speeds!!! 2 no power steering when cold. 3 poor transmission shifting!!!
Please let me know, Brad ny

My friend has a 2004 Durango Hemi, and had the same problem.
The fix was having the PCM flashed with an upgrade.
Now NO problems at all.

Hope this helps................ :banana2:

Anton
03-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will start documenting the stalls. It happened again this week. Interestingly, 3 out of 4 times it has happened at exactly the same spot in the parking lot at work in the morning - basically free wheeling under slight downhill, 90 degree turn. I have noticed that the RPM's fall rapidly when doing this turn and I wondering if this could cause engine cut-out - perhaps falling below 500 rpm. I also have a very short drive to work - less than 4 miles and the engine is not operating at normal temparature yet.

rick75
03-17-2005, 02:57 AM
11k on my Hemi and not one stall.

h-d
04-15-2005, 03:18 AM
I now have 2700 miles on my defective Durango, it and it has stalled no less than a dozen times. Took it back to a different dealership this time to have the recalled fuel tank replaced and had them try to check it for stalling. I told them they could keep it for a few days and drive it around as much as they would like.

They replaced the fuel tank and stated they could not find any problem with it stalling. However they had no problem telling me it was due for an oil change. Oil change how about an engine change instead? Anyway I left the dealership and stopped at the gas station 2 miles down the road. As I pulled into the gas station it happened again ***stall*** . No check engine light, no oil pressure warning, only a stalled engine and an rpm gauge at 0 RPMís. I was hoping that the fuel tank swap out was a way for them to fix the stalling problem (guess not).

My wife called the dealership and spoke to the general manager as we sat that the gas station. I wanted to have someone from the dealership come down and hookup the stupid diagnostics machine . But there was no mechanics on the premises (serves me right for picking it up at night). He mentioned that they can use a ďco-pilotĒ and it may pick up the problem. So my wife is on a mission tomorrow to have the ďco-pilotĒ installed. I will keep you updated.

I am going to file a complaint if this does not work.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

mzuzick
02-24-2006, 07:12 PM
I have a 2005 Durango that has been cutting off on me as well. It happens pullling into a stop, or rolling out of a stop. The first noticible thing is you lose all power steering, and roll right into incoming traffic. This has happened over 6 times in the pasts 2 weeks. Today, it happened when I was traveling 40 mph. SCARY!

My engine light has been on for months. Brought it to dealer and they changed the battery because car was not starting after sitting all night. Drove out of repair shop, and engine light turns on during the drive home. After I called them, they told me it was ok, and just keep driving it. It would reset itself after a while. That was over a month ago.

h-d
03-01-2006, 12:29 AM
mzuzick,

Have you checked your code? While the truck is turned off turn the ignition key on and off three times leaving it in the on position at the end. It should give you the code. Then you can check allpar.com and find out what it is.

Can't remember if this works on the 05 Durango but it works in my 04 Caravan.

By the way they did patch my stalling probem with a flash to the computer. But it just keeps the idle higher when I let off the gas. Its been about 10 months now and no more stalling. However my gas milage went from 14mpg to 11mpg.

DetroitGTX
04-26-2006, 05:09 AM
guys, take these back to the dealerships and tell them to perform recall F01. It is a flash of the PCM because there is a static electricity charge that shuts off all power and causes the car to stall. As a mechanic at my local chrysler stealership, I've done allllot of these. Have the dealership look up any relevant "TSBs" (Technical Service Bullitens) and recalls and have them diagnose the problem that way. The co pilot is a funny little bugger, its actually a starscan tool. records everything you do in that car. So watch it.

Good luck.

Robokev
02-24-2007, 04:46 PM
This problem was very common in the 1st Gen Durangos. Mostly the 98 and 99's. We had a 99 that started cutting out on side roads, took to the dealership and "they didn't know what was wrong." then, started cutting out on freeway at 70 mph and then the dealer decided they knew what was wrong with it. our problem was a defective computer. It's amazing how they suddenly knew what it was when it became too dangerous to drive. As far as I know, Dodge/Chrysler have never recalled this but it happened to many 98-99 durangos. They even charged us for the new computer because it was magically out of warranty. I would have thought they would have fixed this buggy computer problem by now especially with the redesign. Now I'm worried about my '05 Durango.