How does everyone like the 3.7???? [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: How does everyone like the 3.7????

Ben
01-21-2005, 07:37 PM
I love it my self, it runs so much better that the old 3.9 I have driven alot of 3.9 Daks and my 3.7 will blow them away. My truck is an 04 SXT 3.7 auto with 3.92 gears and it huals. Tell me what you think of your 3.7's

pd171
02-14-2005, 05:28 PM
I love it my self, it runs so much better that the old 3.9 I have driven alot of 3.9 Daks and my 3.7 will blow them away. My truck is an 04 SXT 3.7 auto with 3.92 gears and it huals. Tell me what you think of your 3.7's
It must be the 3:92 gears. I just got a new 05 with the 3.7 and 3:21 gears. It feels about the same as the 96 with a 3.9 that I traded in. It may get better after it breaks in (less than 200 miles on engine right now).

Ben
02-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Well the 3.92's do help, and you got a EXT cab, my truck is a reg cab short bed, so it is about as light as you can get. My truck flys, it's no race car but does good for a v6 truck

chester_peabody
03-06-2005, 07:58 AM
I worked at a chrysler dealer when the 3.7 first came out in the jeep liberty, they had huge complaints of rear seals blowing and large amounts of condensation in the oil (white and foamy) are any of you having simular problems?

Ben
03-07-2005, 02:13 PM
My 3.7 is one of the best engines I have ever owned, not a problem yet. I have not head anything bad about the 3.7 untill your post.

guehner
03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
I have an 04 dakota SXT and I love the 3.7. It has ran great for me. I dont know what gears are in it but it seems like it has possy track.

Ben
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I know what you mean, my truck does not sy that it has LSD, but it sure seems like it, I am almost alway spinning both tires.

blackdakondubs
03-19-2005, 02:50 AM
i work at an oil change place and every single one of the 3.7's that come in,wether it be the jeep or the dakota are always full of condensation. after seeing that i will never go to a new chrysler engine. even the 4.7s do and some of the new hemi's. i was gunna sell mine and get a new 4.7 and build it but i dont like the whole idea of the condensation. it really sux :redx:

Ben
03-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Well that sucks, but I have has no problems with mine yet so i guess we will see.

00BlkDakSpt
03-29-2005, 09:15 AM
I have a 5speed and 3:55 gears (not the best) and it still kicks butt. Your 05 sucks because its the new body style, which has 500+lbs than our generation. They wanted to make the cab as sound-prof as possible but you pay for it in a different way. I hope you went with the 6 speed instead of the auto. Makes it much worse.

GreanMachine
04-23-2005, 06:05 PM
I have a SXT with about 9000 on it. The first time I changed the oil i noteced a little white gook on the inside of the oil cap but that was all. Nothing in the oil and no problems sence. May be its the type of oil or the atmosphere that your in. :huh: I raced a buddy of mine that has a honda Del Sol with a number of hop up. (Weather you would call that a race or not?) From bout 20mph to 115 where the limiter kicks in, (on the autobauhn. I live in Germany) Needless to say I kicked his #*%. :buttkick:

04Quadcab
05-01-2005, 04:25 AM
Quad cab '04 with 15k miles on it. So far, no issues, good gas mileage.
Getting over 20 mpg with city/freeway miles. Engine got better mileage after 12k miles. decent performance with the v6 3.7 but my"other" vehicle is a 440 Ramcharger.............comparing the two is like comparing a raging bull elephant to a mule deer.

Ben
05-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Well i now have almost 25k on my 3.7 and it runs like a champ, never any problems and i have been getting about 21 mpg and that is running at 90mph on the freeway with 3.92 gears. i did notice that is got better MPG after about 12k.

realdeal7369
05-09-2005, 06:45 PM
they all should run great they are new for crying out loud. :biggthump :bow: :joke:

felt the same way when i bought my first new truck. 1996 dak ext car, BLACK too. i took the driveshaft down, took the surface scale off it, same thing with the springs. got some cool compliments from a dodge tech guy when the gas gauge froze up on me not even a year later after i bought it. they replaced it for nothing (gotta love the warrenty huh), guy asked if it was mine, i said yeah, he said it had to be the cleanest dakota he'd ever worked on.

i used to get underneath it with a scrub pad and go buck wild on the detailing aspect of it. i also had a california car duster and used to dust it off before i went to work, when i got there, when i got out of work, and when i got home. whew! lotta work, black is like that too. a real ball breaker to keep clean :banana2:

jim <<wishes he had more pics of her too... :sorry:

05Dakota
05-21-2005, 06:04 PM
05 3.7 here and I love it for a V6 its has the pep to get out of the way and and it accelerates comfotably. So far no problems so we will see...

UsRanger11B1V
07-03-2005, 10:17 PM
My 04 3.7 qc 4x4 is pretty good off the line..after about 35 mile an Hr. it couldnt get out of its own way. Thinking of getting a gibson dual cat back. I know its a heavy truck,but does anybody else notice this??

BP

suffolk_mopar
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
My 04 3.7 qc 4x4 is pretty good off the line..after about 35 mile an Hr. it couldnt get out of its own way. Thinking of getting a gibson dual cat back. I know its a heavy truck,but does anybody else notice this??

BP

my 04 3.7 gets up and goes. no racing mochine but it moves along pretty good. gas mileage is great compared to my 03 qc 4.7.

UsRanger11B1V
07-05-2005, 04:11 AM
The gas milage is pretty good. Question, does anybody know the difference between the gas milage with the tail gate up or down?.. I have heard conflicting comments.

suffolk_mopar
07-05-2005, 03:17 PM
The gas milage is pretty good. Question, does anybody know the difference between the gas milage with the tail gate up or down?.. I have heard conflicting comments.

studies have show that on our newer trucks it`s better with the tailgate up. i`ve tried this theory out. tailgate down, airnet, and tailgate up with a tonneuo (sp) cover, and without. i also noticed no difference in mileage between with a cover and without. someone a while back was saying that funny lip in our tailgate makes the newer trucks get better gas mileage and less drag with the tailgate up. don`t make sense to me but hey it works for me.

Ben
08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Well i am getting close to 30K and my trucks is still awsome. i am still getting about 21mpg over all. The only thingi don't like with the 3.7 is when the A/C is on, it falls on it's face. i kow A/C take some power and gas to use, but this is the worst. Other than that this has been a great truck.

tobii3
08-11-2005, 08:05 PM
If you think the A/C is bad in your Dak...

Try it in a Ford.

I almost fell out of my buddies truck when he kicked his on....felt like an emergency engine brake!!!

Be happy YOURS isn't that bad!!! :biggthump

Ben
09-01-2005, 10:48 PM
If you think the A/C is bad in your Dak...

Try it in a Ford.

I almost fell out of my buddies truck when he kicked his on....felt like an emergency engine brake!!!

Be happy YOURS isn't that bad!!! :biggthump
Well I have had a 95 Mustang v6 and is was not near as bad as my dak with the air on, even the Focus ZX3 i had was not this bad.

00BlkDakSpt
09-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I don't have that problem with my 3.7. But mine is a 5-spd, I can tell it takes a litte HP from the truck, but not near as what you describe.

darwinbohnke
09-05-2005, 03:44 AM
i have a 04 cc SXT 3.7l, i know it had limited slip but my question is how much power do you think could be produced from the 3.7?

00BlkDakSpt
09-05-2005, 08:37 AM
Kennebell showed with the twin screw with 5.5psi the 3.7L made:

296HP@5200
343TQ@2800

Amazing how the supercharger brought peak TQ down really low. (Great for towing,. NA peak is at 4000, I believe. Which is of course horrible for towing or off-road/rock climbing. So, you figure upgrade to the 8.5psi numbers will up. I don't know math with estimate Hp well, s if anyone could give a guess. Plus, you can add cams, porting, bigger TB, etc. So, to answer you question around 350-425 maybe.

Ben
09-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Wow my truck is quick stock for what it is, i would love to feel it with a blower. I really love my truck and I am glad that i have the 3.7 It would be better if i had the 4.7, but for a v6 I am very happy. This is my 900th post. YAY

Ben
11-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Well my truck has 33K and some change and it is still awsome. Not a single problem to date. Lets here you updates.

00BlkDakSpt
11-21-2005, 07:56 PM
A little over 13K on the motor. Would have as much but got a better job that requires a bit of Hwy driving to get there. Not a single problem. And I beat the snot of my baby whenever someone's ego needs a check. No new mods as far that goes. Got news that the 2005 3.7 gets revised cam profile and new valve lash adjusters to increase smoothness at idle, and a thick-wall composite manifold and revised air box and resonator to reduce noise. I didn't care much about the intake manifold or intake system, just thicker. But was looking at the cams and valve lash adjuster so smooth the rough idle known on the 3.7. Looks like it wasn't just the PCM as a lot of people claimed. But Bill and Marty from KRC Performance annouced that they are going to be launching 206 cams for our engines. Since the HO are 206's for the 4.7. I guess that means these are the HO cams for the sixers? Correct me if I am wrong. Can't wait to burn my cash.

ManDak04
11-21-2005, 10:25 PM
2004 SXT Dakota Reg cab, White, 3.7, Auto, 3.92's
42k miles and adding up quickly. Trans flash which improved response and got rid of hesitation between 2nd & 3rd. Had to wipe some white goo out of oil filler tube a couple of times during oil change. Live in Arkansas so probably not as bad as living in colder climates. Mobile 1 since 10K. Fast for a truck but a little squirrelly when hitting a bump at an angle. Gas milage when up ~1/2 mpg after flash and avg ~20mpg mixed highway and other but no heavy city traffic. Engine had done well so far. Best mileage has been ~20.5 mpg. I don't believe that the rating of 22 MPG will ever be seen with auto and 3.92 gears. Had bake pulsation since about 17K.

Ben
11-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah I know what you mean about hitting bumps and getting a bit crazy. What trans flash are you talking about? Yeah the idle is a bit ruff on the 3.7, but i am use to it. So far the 3.7 seems so much better than the 3.9.

ManDak04
11-23-2005, 01:47 AM
I had complained a couple of time before when taking truck in for service about the lag in shifting and a squeek that was present when weather got hot. Finally they had a tech ride with me. He said they could flash the transmission. I had this done with ~ 35k on dak. It had a lag in shifting at times even when driving slow and when pulling onto hwy from stop. After the flash this lag went away and truck is more enjoyable to drive.

Looking under the hood the following was written:
Reprogram NGC III, 5603009AH (the 9 was hard to read so might be a 7).

The build date on my truck is 1/04 so I don't know it everyone had a lag in shifting.

Sometime it felt like it would never change gears when going into the higher gear. When I had the fluid changed at a transmission shop, they said there were not any bands to adjust and that transmission was all electronic on this model.

Whatever the flash did, the shifts are firmer than before and there doesn't seem to be any loss in power or a change in idle. I am happy with flash.

Ben
11-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks I will ask about it next oil change. I would like my trans to shift a bit firmer. I have to tell you that so far I could not be happier with my truck. I wish I would have got a club cab 4x4 , but that is not the trucks fault.

dissappointed
12-31-2005, 01:42 AM
i can;t understand how you can be so elated about your 3.7 truck,when i have one and it rons like a real gutless dog.tell me your secret please :help:

suffolk_mopar
12-31-2005, 07:52 PM
i can;t understand how you can be so elated about your 3.7 truck,when i have one and it rons like a real gutless dog.tell me your secret please :help:

remove the clutch fan, fastman throttle body and a 180 t-stat. sure woke my truck up.

Corepred4
12-31-2005, 08:23 PM
remove the clutch fan, fastman throttle body and a 180 t-stat. sure woke my truck up.
i'm always reading about people removing their clutch fan. what exactly does this do? where is it, and is it easy to take off? oh and do you lose anything? :huh:

ManDak04
12-31-2005, 10:52 PM
dissappointed

The 3.7L is not bad for the RC. Again, I have an STX which has the 3.92 gears which helps alot with the auto. The flash they did on the transmission helped alot. Its not a v8 but I can't imagine that you would get much more acceleration out of the 4.7L if hooked up with a QC or 4x4. The best combo in the 3.7L version is the RC with 5 speed. For a midsize truck the engine is pretty peppy. I drove an 06 fullsize with the 3.7L and 6 speed and It was too heavy for the engine. There was a vast difference in the acceleration due to the weight between it and my truck. As the truck gets heavier (CC, QC or the worst is the combination with 4X4), it will take more power to get it going. One could make the mods as previously suggested. My truck is bone stock. I am comtemplating putting on a performance muffler and possibly an intake. The modified throttle body would help some but I can't time to take the throttle body off to send it to be modified since I drive the truck daily.

As for removing the fan clutch, removing the fan w/clutch will keep from robbing power (Parasitic) from the engine and free up a few hp to the rear wheels. One can use electric fans to provide the airflow to keep the engine temp within range.

Ben
01-01-2006, 12:38 AM
My truck is stock as well. I have just about the light'est Dak Reg cab 2wd no power options. The 3.92's do helps alot with the auto trans. well I am about to trune 35k and still runs better than new with no problems to date.

UsRanger11B1V
01-01-2006, 09:29 PM
3.7 QC with 3.55 here..Its pretty good off the line but a dog in 2nd gear. Hoping a new flow master 40 or magnaflow will wake it up a little. But no problems with it so far...But likes to suck gas even for a 6 banger.

Out Here

suffolk_mopar
01-01-2006, 09:42 PM

and now i`m working on a deal for a custom flash for the pcm since superchips doesn`t make a tuner for us 3.7 guys.

UsRanger11B1V
01-01-2006, 10:50 PM
and now i`m working on a deal for a custom flash for the pcm since superchips doesn`t make a tuner for us 3.7 guys.

check this out..claimes 17Hp for the 3.7.. I wonder if its basically the same as the superchips tuner as far as HP goes.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/optimizerII/optimizer2.htm

Out here.

Ben
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Well I had my first problem yeaterday. My truck was being very hard to start and then he CEL came on. I called and told the dealer that i am on my way down and as i was pulling off my street the CEF started to flash and the truck went into limp mode. The rev limiter would kick in at 2000 rpms so I went back home and called Chrysler road side. Well 5 ours later they get the truck to the dealership and I am waiting right now for them to call me and let me know what is wrong. I am 35k so it is damn cloes to being out of the bumper to bumper warranty. i will update when i find out whats wrong. i did tell them to do the trans flash while it is in there.

Ben
01-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Well i just talked to the dealership and they said that my crank sensor went bad. They also did the flash so i will have to see if the shifts are better.

ManDak04
01-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Did the service manager ever say what the flash actually does? the flash they for me did firm up the transmission shifts but I didn't know if it was dependant on when the truck was actually built.

Hope it works for you.

Ben
01-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Well the flash did work. I would not say that the shifts are really firmer, but the trans does shift into gear real quick now ( very little lag) and it down shifts qucker as well. It was a very good free upgrade. :biggthump

ManDak04
01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Glad that the flash helped. It was a definite improvement in my truck. I was afraid that there might be some differences in when the vehicles were made and that yours might be different. I definitely had a big shift lag on my truck between the 2-3 shift (I believe) before the flash.

Ben
01-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Yeah my trans did delay alot going into second. When it was cold out and the truck was cold, it would hold first gear for about 3 seconds then clunk into second. and even when it was warm it shifted slow. Now it just goes right into gear with little to no delay. Before it would take a nice push on the gas to get it to down shift, now you just give it alittle push and it down shifts and goes. If it made the shifts really firm it would be perfect, but it way better than before. the service manger did not even know what I was talking about at first. he had to look it up. Well i recomend this flash to anyone that has a 3.7 auto.

campy128
01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
The 3.7 is a HUGE improvement over the 3.9 in my 2001 Club Cab. I now have a 2004 Quad Cab. 3.7 Automatic 3.92 gears and anti-spin rear differential. It easily gets up to speed without wheezing and mileage is over 20 MPG combined. I do miss the spark knock, and overdrive to second gear downshifts on the highway that I enjoyed with the 3.9. Great engine! :wave:

Ben
01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
The 3.7 is a HUGE improvement over the 3.9 in my 2001 Club Cab. I now have a 2004 Quad Cab. 3.7 Automatic 3.92 gears and anti-spin rear differential. It easily gets up to speed without wheezing and mileage is over 20 MPG combined. I do miss the spark knock, and overdrive to second gear downshifts on the highway that I enjoyed with the 3.9. Great engine! :wave:
Welcome to the site. Yeah my step uncle had a 2000 CC with a 3.9 auto and he said that it would ping all the time unless he ran high test gas. He now has a 2004 Quad Cab 4x4 3.7 auto and he likes it alot better. 210hp vs 175hp, I'll take the 210. I got flamed a few time for saying that the 3.7 is better than the 3.9. I work for a fleet managment Co and I have had to replace about 15 3.9's in 2005 and all were under 130k. They were in B1500 van's, but still it's the same engine. My Buddy has had 2 3.9 5-speed Reg cab Daks and my 3.7 auto is faster than both of them. Once the aftermarket starts making more parts of the 3.7 I think people will start to like it even more. :biggthump

rellimeel
01-06-2006, 10:16 PM
My 05 3.7L has 1,500 miles and a very rough idle. I noticed at about 500 miles. Two dealers have told me that "they all do that". Anyone else?

Ben
01-06-2006, 10:47 PM
That is how they idle. mine has had kinda of a ruff idle since new.

campy128
01-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Hello,
My 2004 Quad cab with 23005 miles seems to idle fine. There is an occasional light miss at idle but nothing that I would call rough. I'd have the dealer check again or get a second opinion. What gas are you using? 87 octane is reccommended, They sometimes act up on premium. :wave:

Ben
01-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Hello,
My 2004 Quad cab with 23005 miles seems to idle fine. There is an occasional light miss at idle but nothing that I would call rough. I'd have the dealer check again or get a second opinion. What gas are you using? 87 octane is reccommended, They sometimes act up on premium. :wave:
That slight miss feeling is what i consider ruff idle. I only run 87 in my truck.

UsRanger11B1V
01-07-2006, 10:31 PM
95% of the time I run 87 as well...(A) its cheaper and these puppies are thirsty (B) its recomended and (C) its cheaper. However if I hear her begin to knock alittle going uphill I put in the 89 and its fine.

Out Here

Ben
01-10-2006, 05:38 PM
95% of the time I run 87 as well...(A) its cheaper and these puppies are thirsty (B) its recomended and (C) its cheaper. However if I hear her begin to knock alittle going uphill I put in the 89 and its fine.

Out Here
I have never heard my truck ping or knock under any type of load.

05redSTQC
01-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Great motor... great truck. But then again, I got out of a 2.0 Plymouth Breeze.

Ben
01-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Great motor... great truck. But then again, I got out of a 2.0 Plymouth Breeze.
Once you go Dak, you never go back LOL