Dakota Durango Forum banner

Rubbing sound from the front end ..

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  moparnopar 
#1 ·
Folks,

Started a few weeks ago... when turning .. sounded like wheels were rubbing against fender well .. tires stock size 31x10.5x15... but now, seems like it's also doing the sound ,, rubbibng when going at low speeds ... any ideas what to look for ??

Change breaks about 2 months ago .. but do not think it has anything to do with it .. let me know

thanks
R/T :bow:

#4 ·
there isnt really any way to check it without some machines, you can buy the hubs at any auto parts stores oreilly auto parts has them for around $130 USD, just make sure you get the right one, (4wheel ABS or 2 wheel ABS)

they bolt to the steering knuckle with 3 bolts on the back near the axle cv joint

just make sure you take it to someone who can check it and possibly find te problem before you start spending money and replacing parts without knowing if they are bad

#5 ·
Further diagnose (for what it's worth)

Ok .. while changing my shocks ... some more information. Rotors, brake shield etc .. everything looks good and healthy.

I did the 12 oclock and 6 oclock check ... solid .. no movement. I did the 3 oclock and 9 oclock check ,,. and slight movement .. but I am assuming (since tie-rods were moving) that it was ok .. regular steering motion .. what I forgot to check was the lower ball joint (might do so this coming weekend). Now back to my front end grinding noise.

I took a drive tonight and stuck my head out the window. While turning left or right and can hear a crunching grinding sound. To me it sounds like Wheel bearings. Also, not sure if this makes a difference, but at high speeds, I hear a constant groaning sound ... hard to explain ... but that's what it is .. anyone have insight in this .. would be appreciated. Tomorrow, my mom will check at the dealer (she works there) and see how much they are at her discount.

Stay tuned .. and again, if anyone has input .. feel free :eek:nethumb:

#6 ·
Sound like the Hub...could just be one side. I've posted this same info a few different times, but my G/F's blazer had a shot left front hub. Made a droning noise that got louder as speed increased.

She does have larger than stock tires, but it sounded like she had some 35's on her truck lol. Certainly sounds like the problem we had with her bowtie.

#8 ·
thanks guys ... price here in canada is 325 (dealer ... best price.. so far - my mom works there).

checking Ebay and all .. 159US .. still cheaper US side .. u americans :eek:nethumb:

one more question.. might sound stupid .. do I have 4 wheel ABS or just two wheel ... I know I have ABS .. but not sure 4 wheel .. I have drum brakes in the rear .. I thought it would be only the front ...

thanks
R/T

#9 ·
moparnopar said:
thanks guys ... price here in canada is 325 (dealer ... best price.. so far - my mom works there).

checking Ebay and all .. 159US .. still cheaper US side .. u americans :eek:nethumb:

one more question.. might sound stupid .. do I have 4 wheel ABS or just two wheel ... I know I have ABS .. but not sure 4 wheel .. I have drum brakes in the rear .. I thought it would be only the front ...

thanks
R/T

there should be a sticker in your glove box that will tell if you have 2wheel or 4wheel abs

if you buy them from the dealer, they can find out which one it is by looking up your vin number

#10 ·
4 wheel vs 2 wheel ABS

#11 ·
Update ...

it's a 4w ABS based on the VIN. Anyways, the problem was not the bearings but the U-Joints in the front. Brought it to my buddies house and we went into a parking lot ... did some slow u-turns and you can hear it growl when turning left or right ... so U-Joints it is ...

Now going to shop around for them .. stay tuned .

Thanks guys !

R/T :woot: :woot:

#16 ·
Ok here goes ...

Made my brother in law hear it last night .. needless to say .. nothing happened ? No noise ... now, could it be that the CV joint has to warm up for it to happen ? That is, we left my driveway and started doing donuts in the STREET .... NOTHING !

and yet , every morning on my way to work it does it at some point .. after running around for about 20 minutes or so ...

HELP

Thanks
Ralph

#17 ·
Ok ... the SAGA continues ... installed new tires today. no more road noise .. but the rubbing saga continues . Seems like the issue is with the brakes somewhere in ther front ... went and do some donuts in a parking lot today ... rubbing only starts when I have been running around town for about 15 minutes or so ... if I start the truck cold .. nothing ...

now, while I was doing the donuts, I applied the brakes (just to say I applied slightly) and the sound stops ! I believe it has something to do with the pads themselves that I changed this past february ... so tomorrow, I am taking the front rubbers on and inspecting ... I believe it has something to do with one of the brakes shoes ... removing them and returning to my local canadian tire... they are guarnateed so there goes that !

Will keep you posted ... stay tuned .

R/T

#18 ·
Found it ....

Ok here goes... Brakes issue. This morning inspected the monroe brake pads I installed in February. I noticed (especially on the passenger side, outer pad) the one that is spring loaded, that the spring load was not touching the outer part of the Knuckle. So I took them off and with the warranty paper , got new ones.

Got home , installed the driver side and started the passenger side. Then I noticed that the spring load is in the right place but the outer pad is not touching the Knuckle as it should - there is a gap. So I look in the box and located the spacers (.05, .10, .15. .20 and .25) I inserted a .25. The reason I did this is that I noticed that the knuckle where the brake pad sits is "used" up. This makes up the difference. Slapped that little spacer on the lower end of the out brake pad, realigned everything and now it sits tight. Tested and I do not hear anything anymore. As mentioned in the previous post, the reason I thought it was the pads is that when I would apply the brakes, the noise would stop. Hence .. brakes.

Thanks and g-luck to anyone with the same symptoms. CV joints going back to the place where I bought them in the morning !

ciao for now
R/T
:wave:

#19 ·
Ok here goes... Brakes issue. This morning inspected the monroe brake pads I installed in February. I noticed (especially on the passenger side, outer pad) the one that is spring loaded, that the spring load was not touching the outer part of the Knuckle. So I took them off and with the warranty paper , got new ones.

Got home , installed the driver side and started the passenger side. Then I noticed that the spring load is in the right place but the outer pad is not touching the Knuckle as it should - there is a gap. So I look in the box and located the spacers (.05, .10, .15. .20 and .25) I inserted a .25. The reason I did this is that I noticed that the knuckle where the brake pad sits is "used" up. This makes up the difference. Slapped that little spacer on the lower end of the out brake pad, realigned everything and now it sits tight. Tested and I do not hear anything anymore. As mentioned in the previous post, the reason I thought it was the pads is that when I would apply the brakes, the noise would stop. Hence .. brakes.

Thanks and g-luck to anyone with the same symptoms. CV joints going back to the place where I bought them in the morning !

ciao for now
R/T
:wave:
Spring loaded?

Im trying to picture this... .reason being, i am having the same problem and am about to replace front wheel bearings, as this is what everything points to.... till now, you say it was brakes.... i too, changed out my brakes about 2 months ago, and am now hearing noise from my drivers side.

So which one is spring "loaded"? and what kind of spacers did your brake pad manufacturers provide to you and where do you put them?

#20 · (Edited)
As mentioned ... the space between the knuckle and the caliper ... I wish I would have taken pictures ... the spacers are attached to the caliper to make up for the space ... so when they were not there and while SHARP turns at low speeds (real low speeds) I would hear a grinding sound. I suppose the space (gap) that was there was making the brake assembly move and I discovered this in the parking lot testing . While doing a sharp turn I slightly applied the brakes and it stopped right away ... as for the spring loaded comment ( I might have chosen the wrong words ...) :)

The spacers came with the brake pads (monroe's) I bought here at Canadian Tire (montreal, canada) and I suppose they have those spacers if you need to buy them seperately also.

Good luck and let me know if you need more info .. hope it helps .

:banana2:

#21 ·
and for spacers he means shims for us americans LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.