360 Turbo Kit [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: 360 Turbo Kit

01 Blown R/T
02-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Does anybody have the turbo kit on a 5.9 R/T i was just lookin at it on tha site and it says its like $2500 and ur suposed to have about 425whp after it.... i was wondering if anyone knew anything about that kit or not...

SinCity R/T
02-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Which site is that? The only commercial kit for the 5.9 R/T that I'm aware of is up in Washington, and their prices are closer to $6000. The Idaho Speed Shop has a 4.7L V8 kit for sale, about the same price.

TurboBlew
02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
Maybe you're thinking of the sts "muffler" turbos....lol.

Nobody... I repeat NOBODY produces a kit that will bolt onto a stock motor.

And unless you are capable of installing it yourself and have access to fabrication tools... you're looking at ~$10,000+ at the very minimum for ~425hp at the wheels to buy/install/mildly tune the setup.

SinCity R/T
02-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Nobody... I repeat NOBODY produces a kit that will bolt onto a stock motor.

Sure there is... Turbo Technology's kit has been listed on this site for a few years in the Parts Info section. This kit was developed with Ed Morris, aka "White Turbo" in the timeslip database.

TurboBlew
02-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh really.... White Turbo is running a "factory stock" 360 with those times?
Thats the not story I remember the last time the subject was debated.
Ill have to look at the thread again. I know from the offline communications he gave absolutely NO details about the engine setup.

Sure there is... Turbo Technology's kit has been listed on this site for a few years in the Parts Info section. This kit was developed with Ed Morris, aka "White Turbo" in the timeslip database.

TurboBlew
02-18-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23490&page=1&pp=15

And yet again....another thread about a product where NO HARD numbers were published.

Dont forget about the forged shortblock and DFI system needed for this "kit".

SinCity R/T
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh really.... White Turbo is running a "factory stock" 360 with those times?
Thats the not story I remember the last time the subject was debated.
Ill have to look at the thread again. I know from the offline communications he gave absolutely NO details about the engine setup.

Is Ed's truck stock? Not even close.

Was the production kit fitted off Ed's truck? Yes.

Was anything done to Ed's truck before the turbo was fitted that should affect the geometry of the turbo kit parts? No.

Are the hp #'s that were initially quoted the same as your average joe would post? Probably not - but it's also specifically stated that Ed chose to have a forged bottom end built before installation.

Do you need to have a forged bottom end like Ed before you install the turbo kit? No. But it's a no-brainer to say that anyone with any type of power adder would benefit from having a forged bottom end.

Edited Addition: Is a turbo kit (or any power adder for that matter) something that anyone can just slap right onto a truck and run perfect? This is a really vague subject. Will a kit work out of the box? Pretty much. Are you going to get optimal horsepower and tuning with the stuff out of the box? Probably not. Even the major supercharger kits are only mediocre out of the box - some come with downright horrid tuning options. It's been proven that you can make a lot more power overall by swapping a bunch of other parts - manifold, headers, PCM, yada yada. I can't think of a single guy running a turbo/supercharger under 12.5 who isn't using some sort of additional piggyback FMU or is going to a complete standalone system.

It doesn't change the fact that this is the only company with the cojones to make a production kit for the R/T. Can someone with the appropriate knowledge build a cheaper kit, especially if they choose different parts? Of course.

TurboBlew
02-18-2007, 07:51 PM
I (you and most people) understand that a turbo/supercharger/nitrous system always need supporting modifications to "optimum" performance BUT... its always nice to know what kinda hp the system will produce on the same engine specifications most people start with.

I remember a company in TX, called Speed something, installed a twin turbo setup on a bone stock RT back around 2000-01. The system made all of 5 or 6 psi. It made ~370ish rwhp on a dyno. (pardon not remembering all the specifics). At the time... this was more hp than any available supercharger could supply in a "kit" form.
Im not sure what ever became of the truck and company... but my point was...they posted a comparison versus a supercharger with almost double the boost.

SinCity R/T
02-18-2007, 08:14 PM
I (you and most people) understand that a turbo/supercharger/nitrous system always need supporting modifications to "optimum" performance BUT... its always nice to know what kinda hp the system will produce on the same engine specifications most people start with.

I remember a company in TX, called Speed something, installed a twin turbo setup on a bone stock RT back around 2000-01. The system made all of 5 or 6 psi. It made ~370ish rwhp on a dyno. (pardon not remembering all the specifics). At the time... this was more hp than any available supercharger could supply in a "kit" form.
Im not sure what ever became of the truck and company... but my point was...they posted a comparison versus a supercharger with almost double the boost.

Unfortunately Max's truck that was built at SpeedTweaks isn't a good example to quote. There's a huge dramatic story behind the buildup of that truck because of issues at SpeedTweaks, but the bottom line is that Max felt the turbo kit was of poor quality and the engine had a lot of troubles after delivery. The engine ended up damaged, Max gave up on all the headaches, the truck's been gone for years - I forget who it is but one of the guys here on this forum have the ported heads from that truck.

I wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice to see someone with an otherwise stock R/T buy & install one of those kits so proper baseline dyno & a/f numbers could be posted. Unfortunately for information's sake, the vast majority of power adder users out there purchased supercharger kits instead, or the people who knew enough about turbos simply built one themself.

TurboBlew
02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. The pics and video seemed to tell another story back then.