help..no reverse 2000 durango [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: help..no reverse 2000 durango

phantm88
12-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi I have a 2000 Durango SLT with 5.2 Automatic.One day I was driving and everything was fine.I put trans in reverse to backout and I felt the trans drop to reverse but it just whines when you rev the engine.The fluid looks and smells good and all forward gears work perfect.I dont have any check engine lights on.Everything works perfect except no reverse.Please help before have to spend way too much money for a hopefully simple problem.

360Magnum
01-01-2007, 06:33 AM
try driving down the street and around 40 kph and down shift manualy 3, 2, 1 if 1st wont slow you down its your rear servo damaged prolly.. not a huge expense to fix and the tranny wont have to come all out.. if thats the problem

phantm88
01-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi Magnum thanks for the advice.I did what you said and 1st gear did slow me down..Any other suggestions?

Thanks

SJG3RD
01-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Any update on this? My 2000 durango started doing this today?

Mine doesn't slow down though. Does that mean the rear servo is shot?

Is that something I can fix myself?

Thanks for any help

phantm88
01-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I couldnt get any real help So I took my Durango to AAmco to get a diagnostic,they tested all the codes and didnt find any faults and said it was internal but they don know what it is.They checked my fluid and said it is perfect and all forward gears operate perfect.SO...no clue still

99durango318
01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I couldnt get any real help So I took my Durango to AAmco to get a diagnostic,they tested all the codes and didnt find any faults and said it was internal but they don know what it is.They checked my fluid and said it is perfect and all forward gears operate perfect.SO...no clue still

I rebuild transmissions for boats and bulldozers and stuff like that and i see stuff like this happen wen a clutch plate is cracked or you have a blockage somewhere in the system........this really sounds like your going to have to crack the trans open and have a look :sorry:

SJG3RD
01-29-2007, 04:14 AM
I was hoping for an easy fix.

I will try and get mine to a transmission shop by tuesday at the latest.

I will update the thread when I know more about mine.

Thanks for the help.

SmokinCummins
01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
For reverse to work, the rear band has to be "applied" as well as the Hi/rev clutch (also called the front clutch)

The rear band also is applied in manual low.
The hi/rev is also applied in 3rd and 4th.

We know the Hi/rev is good, because 3rd/4th are strong.
Manual low is a little tricky, because the rear sprag makes the truck go forward even if the rear band is wiped. Like was mentioned earlier, you can tell by how the truck acts when slowing, but this can be misleading.

I would highly recommend hooking a 300psi gauge to the rear servo test port. Low, or no pressure can be servo related, or valve body related, but you have to start with a pressure gauge on the test port.

AND AAMCO SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS!!

SJG3RD
01-29-2007, 08:24 PM
I am dropping mine off tonight at a local transmission shop. I just wanted to get ideas on what might be the problem, so they dont blow smoke.

After reading a whole list of old topics..... I tired the driving about 20mph and dropped it into 2nd, nothing happened, dropped to first nothing happened. should be slowing it down. Somewhere in an old post supposedly if it does that then the rear servo is gone.

Who knows though I hate transmissions. :cussing:

I just dont want the shop telling me it needs a complete rebuild and to fix the problem all they have to do it replace the rear servo.

Thanks for all the help.

SJG3RD
01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Update

The transmission shop pulled the pan and found some metal and wants to do a complete rebuild to find the problem.

I gave the ok, what else can I do??

I told them to keep me in the loop and let me know exactly what happened. I will update more when I know the specifics.

addicted2blue00
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
if they are goin to rebuild i'd give Wayne at APS a call for some info and parts, if anything prevent it from happenin again

rt99three60
02-02-2007, 12:58 AM
I rebuild transmissions for boats and bulldozers and stuff like that and i see stuff like this happen wen a clutch plate is cracked or you have a blockage somewhere in the system........this really sounds like your going to have to crack the trans open and have a look :sorry:

u should help me fix my r/t its all fucked up transmission wise, check engine light is on 2 codes P1757 GOV Pressure Not Equal To Target @ 15-20 PSI The requested pressure and the actual pressure are not within a tolerance band for the Governor Control System which is used to regulate governor pressure to control shifts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. (Zero Pressure Malfunction)

P0783 (M) 3-4 Shift Solenoid, No RPM Drop At Lockup The overdrive solenoid is unable to engage the gear change from 3rd gear to the overdrive gear.

O/D is out slips in most gears first gear whines like a supercharger and it takes a few seconds to engage it into Reverse and drive...... damn dodge trans

SJG3RD
02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Update on the latest news form the transmission shop:

During the rebuild they found the overdrive to be a lot more burnt up than they thought it would be considering the car would still shift into overdrive.

During the installation the radiator seems to be clogged and they want to replace that. It seems it was clogged and caused the tranmission is get hotter than planned an it lead to the demise of my transmission.

SO a less for the day is flush those transmissions or get an aftermarket gauge to keep an eye on the temp.

I order a radiator though my uncles shop(only have to pay cost) and I will take it to them tomorrow and everything else should be gravy. :drive:
Hopefully......... otherwise my next post will be from prison, because if something else goes wrong with this car I am going to kill someone. :cussing:

jplinville
02-09-2007, 11:59 PM
Update on the latest news form the transmission shop:

During the rebuild they found the overdrive to be a lot more burnt up than they thought it would be considering the car would still shift into overdrive.

During the installation the radiator seems to be clogged and they want to replace that. It seems it was clogged and caused the tranmission is get hotter than planned an it lead to the demise of my transmission.

SO a less for the day is flush those transmissions or get an aftermarket gauge to keep an eye on the temp.

I order a radiator though my uncles shop(only have to pay cost) and I will take it to them tomorrow and everything else should be gravy. :drive:
Hopefully......... otherwise my next post will be from prison, because if something else goes wrong with this car I am going to kill someone. :cussing:
ROFLMAO