Dakota Durango Forum banner

PA body lift steering extension problems

7K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  SCD318 
#1 ·
The steering extension that came with my PA body lift is different then my trucks steering, the steering shaft in the truck is splined and the extension from the kit is rectangular. Did i get the wrong kit? The guy on ebay told me 98-01 is the same. But there are 2 lift blocks left over because the kit said i have 8 cab mounts but i only have 6...

what do i do?

http://i14.tinypic.com/4btf30l.jpg

#6 ·
ok so do i call PA? the lift is installed, all i need to do is get the steering hooked up and im good to go! :mullet:

thanks
kevin

#8 ·
thats a good idea... ill try it

#9 ·
shit!!! the extension is 120.00! :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: i only paid 150 for the whole kit!

What can i do? weld an extension into the shaft?

Kevin

#12 ·
the whole kits done, all i need to do is have my friend weld the extesion into the transfercase (this afternoon).

How can i find out what shaft from what jeep will work? How do you know it will work? Is there anyone i could ask?

i need to get this resolved, my father is flying in today, we are driving the truck to new york thursday!!!

Thanks
Kevin

#14 ·
SCD318 said:
the whole kits done, all i need to do is have my friend weld the extesion into the transfercase (this afternoon).

How can i find out what shaft from what jeep will work? How do you know it will work? Is there anyone i could ask?

i need to get this resolved, my father is flying in today, we are driving the truck to new york thursday!!!

Thanks
Kevin

Damn if your driving to new york thursday then you might have to remove the kit.

#15 ·
i just stretched the shaft all the way out and got it completly onto the steering box. I put the bolt back in it too seems to be fine no binding at all. Will this damage the U joint or any other part of the system? I dont see how it could but i know theres a reason for the extension... :rant:

Thanks
Kevin :mullet:

#17 ·
how should i extend it?

#19 ·
if i leave him bad feedback wont he leave me bad feedback?

#20 ·
SCD318 said:
i just stretched the shaft all the way out and got it completly onto the steering box. I put the bolt back in it too seems to be fine no binding at all. Will this damage the U joint or any other part of the system? I dont see how it could but i know theres a reason for the extension...

Thanks
Kevin
Be careful here, you've just pulled the steering shaft out too far. Are you sure there is enough left for the steering to work as stock? (Your on the correct track for thinking PA included it for a reason)

I hate to say it, but you relied on a seller for your Facts. I'd suggest removing the kit and sending it back.

On my Jeep CJ, which I moved the steering sector 3.5" forward, and added a 2.5" body lift, and also run a Ford motor... I did some research and have: 1 Scout steering column, CJ upper shaft, XJ lower shaft & U-joint to a 80's Waggy steering sector. All with math to make sure there is enough meet to turn the shafts, yet plenty for them to collapse in God forbid an accident.

-That said, I'd like to find out more about using a longer shaft for when I lift my 2003 D. I just don't like that PA extention at all... anyone look into using a truck shaft? Other options?

#21 ·
Im not positive on this but wasnt there a guy on this site or DUSA that put a BL only on the front of his truck and he used an XJ shaft that he said was about 3" longer than the Dak stuff.

#22 ·
It doesnt seem like the bottom shaft can come out of the top shaft.

Kevin :rant:

#23 ·
what year xj? any idea where the article is?

#24 ·
oh yea and now my transfercase shifter is shoved all the way down in the boot so it doesnt have enough room to move through all the gears :cussing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.