O2 sensor removal [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: O2 sensor removal

Sam Cler
01-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Just had exhaust done, true duals, 2 1/4" pipe, flowmaster 40's, and I told the guy to skip on the cats. Well right now i have the O2 sensor neatly tucked away under my truck and as I thought my check engine light came on. BTW, it's a 92 318.

Are there any disadvantages to this that I'm not aware of. From what I can tell my fuel mileage will decrease but that's about it. The engine doesn't rely on the o2 sensor during WOT so I don't think I'd see a performance loss but i don't really want to get any worse mileage as it is.

Any suggestions on what to do? Should I get an O2 sim, can I just drill a hole into the exhaust and put it in, or can i just hang it below and let the cold air hit it (tricking the truck) or is there something else I'm not thinking of.

Sam Cler
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Can anyone help me out with this problem?

razman131
01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
how many O2`s do you have. not that familiar with the Gen II`s. if all ya got is one, get a sim. if ya got two, stick one in and tie wrap the other to the frame.

mopar rt
01-06-2006, 11:54 AM
The first O2 makes the adjustments and the second O2 is there to verify the efficiency of the converter. Even though the second one does not make any corrections it will fault out the PCM.

They work for a while if you tie them up under the frame but sooner or latter they get wet or dirty and fault out. The best bet is to weld in bungs and plug in the pre-sensors and install a sim for the post sensor.

Ben
01-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Well you 92 is an ODBI system so it does not have post cat O2 sensors. It is not a good idea to not use your O2. You needs to have a bung welded in the pipe and use the O2. The O2 sims are only for the post cat sensors to make the PCM on a OBDII system think there are cats on the vehicle. Thye can not replace the post cat O2's. you are going to get poor MPG, because it is going to just dump alot of fuel most of the time since it is seening so much oxygen.

Sam Cler
01-06-2006, 09:18 PM
That's the answer i was looking for ben. Thanks, I think i'll get a bung welded in.