single or dual [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: single or dual

pressurized2
12-08-2005, 12:49 AM
i want to get the obd simulators and get rid of the cats and also want to use an electric cutout will it be better to do true duals or a larger single one like 3" just curious the single is definetly cheaper but is it as good?

rt99three60
12-08-2005, 02:12 AM
go with a 3.5" inch single exhaust

addicted2blue00
12-08-2005, 05:24 AM
more of a detail of what ya want, do you want it to be loud or quiet inside or out of the cab, i had muffler dual out flowmaster 40, sounded good but now i have flowmaster 40 with turndowns, its pretty loud in the cab and sometimes when the motor opens up, ya cant hear the passenger :biggthump

JethroStyles
12-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Yea... It's all about what you want before we can tell ya anything. If your going with cutouts, I would leave a fairly mellow exhuast on it, since you can 'make it loud' easy. This way you can enjoy driving the truck around without the horrid drone that you get with a exhuast. Then, when you wanna open it up, do so and GIVE IT HELL. Cutouts are great and all, but I've heard problems with them leaking. I hate exhuast leaks, guess it's a matter of personal preferance. I've definatly concidered a cutout on the R/T. But straight piped kinda sounds... crappy, unless it's pushing tons of boost =)

addicted2blue00
12-08-2005, 06:46 AM
im thinkin someone on here has a cutout and enjoys it and has a 5.2 or 318, w/e ya wanna call it

JethroStyles
12-08-2005, 07:04 AM
im thinkin someone on here has a cutout and enjoys it and has a 5.2 or 318, w/e ya wanna call it

But that guys a redneck... 4x4, honestly, what right does a truck have to have 'ground clearance' Ughh. people these days... Crazy bastards! :rofl: :joke:

addicted2blue00
12-08-2005, 08:16 AM
t.j. crazy? na couldnt be :jester:

Ben
12-08-2005, 02:43 PM
From what i have heard the 3 inch single works better on the dodge trucks that a duel 2.5 inch exhaust. I would just get the single 3 inch and dump it so you don't see any tailpipes.

MagnumDak
12-08-2005, 05:02 PM
I have no cats and a single 3" on my truck with turn downs and its loud. It has a y pipe welded where the cat was a 3" pipe with a spintech then its dumped by the rear tire and its defintely loud. Before this setup I had the guy just cut the muffler off and weld a turndown on before the axle and I think this current setup is louder.

I don't think the true dual vs single debate comes into effect untill your making serious power. Manderal bent single 3 or 3.5" exhaust will flow plenty enough for 300 or so hp.

01RTDurango
12-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Where can the electric cutouts be bought from? Never seen always liked the idea tho :biggthump

cdub05
12-08-2005, 11:08 PM
duals duals duals

RLG
12-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I use a 3" single with a cut out. I personally wouldn't even consider duals.

pressurized2
12-09-2005, 12:51 AM
I use a 3" single with a cut out. I personally wouldn't even consider duals.does your cutout ever leak

pressurized2
12-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Where can the electric cutouts be bought from? Never seen always liked the idea tho :biggthumpsummit has them and you can find them on ebay

RLG
12-09-2005, 05:26 AM
does your cutout ever leak

Right now I just have a manual cut out with the plate held on my wingnuts...I only open it at the track, so right now I don't really have the freedom of just opening it whenever I want to. So no, it does not leak, I haven't had any experience with electronic cut outs yet.

joe cool
12-14-2005, 02:36 AM
I'm running a single pipe (right side ) with a FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES right now on a '96 Dakota 3.9.

If I had my choice it would be DUAL pipes with FLOWMASTER 40 's and 3 inch round FLOWMASTER tips on both sides.

T.j.
12-14-2005, 02:43 AM
But that guys a redneck... 4x4, honestly, what right does a truck have to have 'ground clearance' Ughh. people these days... Crazy bastards! :rofl: :joke:

:finger2:

I have fairly stock exhaust...stock manifolds to stock y pipe, electric cutout before the cat and a flowmaster 50 series dumped before the axle.

The flowmasters quiet I think...and mellow. But when I open the cutout up....it sounds nothing but mean as fuck. Yes My cutout leaks...thats because the cutout I bought is a POS, and no exhaust shops around here would mess with it since I wanted it before the cat.. so I had to install it myself....so I'm just using exhaust clamps to hold the cutout in place. I also absolutely despise exhaust leaks, But my truck has lots of them...and I cant really do anyhting about it.

rayjj
12-14-2005, 03:43 AM
:finger2:

But my truck has lots of them...and I cant really do anyhting about it.

You can find a new and better exhaust shop!