NJ Emissions "Not Ready" Failure [Archive] - Dodge Durango Forum and Dodge Dakota Forums

: NJ Emissions "Not Ready" Failure

saunaviking
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
2004 CC 3.7 V6

My downstream O2 sensor threw a code and I replaced it. I brought it through inspection and it failed because the system showed "Not Ready". Drove it around about 200 miles and went back and it failed again because the system was still "Not Ready" I've since put about another 200 miles on it and wonder if it'll go through this time.

Does anyone know how many miles I need to run it before the system becomes ready? I don't mind going through as the inspection station is near my house and I go in the mornings when there are no lines.

Thanks!

Mopar4Life
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Did it really fail and you paid? The guys a doubebag I suggest you don't go back there. Reset your PCM and bring it somewhere else, say you put a new battery in and you think the systems might not be ready. But it might be easier if you do reset the PCM and drive it around for a couple days the bring it. They are ready pretty randomly. I've seen them go to ready after 30 miles and some after 90 miles so I can't really say there's a specific mileage!

vortmax
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM
See if you can find a FSM and read up on the emissions system. It tells you how the cycle works and when things happen. It uses air and engine temperature among other things. I can post the section from my 01 fsm (should be similar) on monday if someone with access to one now doesn't post it first.

96daksport
03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Have you done anything else to the vehicle in those 200 miles? I know I reset my PCM on my Cavalier in the parking lot of the DMV and it failed for not being ready, I think it only took like 100 miles to reset it.

Scan your computer and make sure your still not throwing a code. Could be you bought a bad sensor(it has happened) or there is something else causing the problem.

96daksport
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Did it really fail and you paid? The guys a doubebag I suggest you don't go back there. Reset your PCM and bring it somewhere else, say you put a new battery in and you think the systems might not be ready. But it might be easier if you do reset the PCM and drive it around for a couple days the bring it. They are ready pretty randomly. I've seen them go to ready after 30 miles and some after 90 miles so I can't really say there's a specific mileage!

Free inspections in NJ.

saunaviking
03-19-2010, 09:02 PM
This was at a NJ State Inspection Station which is free. If I had the money I'd bring it to a private garage and have them put the sticker on.

saunaviking
03-19-2010, 09:14 PM
No new codes are being shown since I changed the sensor. I did have the battery disconnected when I changed it and only had about 50 miles on it when I brought it in the first time. I have now been trying to drive the truck more ( it's a 3rd vehicle so it gets driven the least) to work 20 miles each way.

It had thrown the code right before I had to go and I just cleared it to see if it was a bad code. I originally failed for Not Ready in October. Before I could go back, it threw it again and I knew I had to change the 02 sensor. Since I didn't need to drive it that much and I really didn't have the time to work on it, I left it parked. Finally got around to working on it a couple of weekends ago when I had a free Saturday.

The next chance I have to take it in is Wednesday so we'll see. It's just that the Original inspection sticker is from last October and while I the paperwork from the inspection and can explain it away, I really don't feel like getting stopped for an overdue inspection sticker.

Mopar4Life
03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow that's bs, $37 here in nys

vortmax
03-20-2010, 12:57 AM
I'll try and dig out my fsm for ya. I did some google digging and found out the evap and catalytic monitors require a specific set of driving conditions before becoming ready. These include #of cold starts, #of warm starts, drive cycles where the coolant temp does or does not exceed a certain temperature, etc... So just try and drive in as many different conditions as you can. It can take several or several hundred miles to meet all of those conditions.

I also found that for 2001+ vehicals, you can have one system in "not ready" and still pass, as long as everything else is kosher. Did they say which system it was? Also, the PCM is paranoid about these systems, so any malfunction in the sensors used will set a code and a CEL, but because the sensors aren't checked all the time, it may take a while before the code pops up.

DBennettdjb6
03-20-2010, 02:46 AM
I had the same problem with my 2000. After two 30 miles drives and one 5 mile drive it was finally in the ready status. I believe that you have to drive the truck for several minutes and normal operating temperature at highway speeds and it needs to be cycled on and off a couple of times before the system is ready. Also, once you disconnect the battery or let it die the computer will reset and you have to start all over again.

Little Blue Guy
03-20-2010, 03:17 AM
What monitor in the ECM said that it was not ready?

For instance, EVAP monitor will not run if gas tank is below 1/4 full or above 3/4 full....so it will show not ready....

aspen79
03-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Every time the codes are cleared or the battery is unhooked, you need to complete a drive cycle to reset the readiness codes (also can be called monitor reset). That's the catalyst, evap, etc monitors. A drive cycle is a combination of idle, accel, decel, "city" speeds, "hiway" speeds and is cumulative (meaning you don't have to do all of them in one drive). Until all the correct parameters are met, such as what LBG mentioned and the ECM has run all the monitor tests, it will show "not ready".

They probably require it because if, for example, you had a cat below threshhold, there's be a P0420 or P0430 DTC. Clearing the code would turn off the light UNTIL the catalyst monitor test has been run by the ECM again. In other words, it would pass the OBD-II scan but in reality the cat would be inefficient. Clear as mud now:banana2:

Oh yeah, glad we don't have I/M testing around here! (yet)

saunaviking
03-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Catalytic Conver and Oxygen Sensor show not ready. over 500 miles on it now since I replaced the 02 sensor. Going tomorrow morning so we'll see.

saunaviking
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Persistence pays off. After over 1500 miles she finally passed inspection yesterday. A couple of weeks ago we used it for cleanup at a campgound I help maintain so it got tons of short starts and stops along with a long trip there and back at highway speeds. I guess that did it.

Little Blue Guy
05-28-2010, 02:52 AM
Good....some cars will run the PCM monitors within 50 miles, some take longer....some will not complete until 2 "drive cycles" are done....and you have to make sure gas tank is between 1/4 & 3/4 full for the "evap" monitor to complete....