45RFE Not shifting into OD [Archive] - Dakota Durango Forum

: 45RFE Not shifting into OD

djdanrt
01-28-2010, 09:51 PM
I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota RC 4.7 Auto at about 60mph its somewhere around 2500-3000rpm. I cant remember exactly right now. I know its no where near 1500rpm that I hear other have. It looks like I have the 3.55 gears according to the glovebox sheet. It has the stock 15 or 16" tires. It seems like it way to high of rpms on the highway. Its not real fast 0-60 so I'm 100% it hasn't had the gears changed. Is there a solenoid that can prevent it going into 4th gear OD or something without it giving any fault codes? It really feels like it want to go into another gear. maybe even two more gears. Also Transmission fluid looks good and is full.

caulk04
01-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Count the gears. 1-2-3-4-TC Lockup.

Does it make any difference when you hit the OD off button? Does the dash indicate OD off when you push the button (in odometer)?

Adobedude
01-29-2010, 02:05 AM
Count the gears. 1-2-3-4-TC Lockup.

Does it make any difference when you hit the OD off button? Does the dash indicate OD off when you push the button (in odometer)?

1-2-3 lock up - 4 lock up.

It's a 3 speed.

djdanrt
01-29-2010, 03:04 AM
If I push the OD off button it does turn off OD just seems like its 3rd gear that its in like 3rd gear OD then 3rd gear if I push the OD off. It has high mileage if that helps.

Can you have transmission issues like this without popping a code?

caulk04
01-29-2010, 03:17 AM
1-2-3 lock up - 4 lock up.

It's a 3 speed.

Wrong. This is the 45RFE. It shifts 1-2-3-4-lockup.

If you turn OD off, it'll shift 1-2-3-lockup. Then when you turn the OD back on, it unlocks the TC, shifts to 4th and locks back up.

caulk04
01-29-2010, 03:20 AM
At any rate, you're getting OD. Now we need to see if you're getting TC lockup.

Flat ground, light throttle cruising - Lightly touch the brake pedal while still on throttle. If the RPM go up, the TC is unlocking and you don't have any problems.

djdanrt
01-29-2010, 03:22 AM
Ok thanks! I'll try that tomorrow and post back.

Broncman
02-10-2010, 04:14 AM
i have afriend who has an 03 & I think it may be doing the same thing except it will not start out in 1st unless you are in "1". They also dont think its going in o/d. It just started doing it today. Im just trying to find similar threads before I start another one.

djdanrt
02-10-2010, 04:39 AM
Well I checked and the rpms do go up a little. But if your giving it gas shouldn't it do that no matter what? 45mph is 2000rpm and 2800rpm -3000rpm at 70rpm doesn't seem like its going into the last gear 4th , 3rd gear od or whatever its called. Im surprised I have zero codes. I guess you can have major transmission problems without popping any codes.

djdanrt
02-10-2010, 05:20 AM
I got this from a website.

If the indicated engine coolant temperature stays too low too long (which may be due to an open thermostat, low coolant level or faulty coolant sensor), the TCM may go into a cold mode and prevent the torque converter clutch from locking up.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/transmission_chrysler_45rfe.htm

My viscous fan is almost always on. My temp goes up to 190 and stays around there. Could this prevent the TC lockup?

atvrider07
02-10-2010, 07:41 AM
if you're hitting 190 then you should have TC lockup. Mine usually doesn't lock up for about 5 miles or so when its really cold out. Always shifts into every gear though

caulk04
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM
45RFE does not care what the engine temp is. It goes off of it's own temperature.

Once it hits 80, it'll shift through all the gears normally and lock the TC.

Count the gear shifts. It's simple, count the shifts and see what gear it's in.

djdanrt
02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
With 2 second gears and very smooth shifting it kinda difficult to count. Im pretty sure its 4 gears. Its pointless because I already know its not going into the last gear anyway. 70mph and 3000rpm doesn't sound right. Im 90% sure its TC related, either some solenoid or something with the tcm. Weird as I thought it would pop a code.

caulk04
02-11-2010, 01:22 AM
It does not shift through both 2nd gears. It uses one for upshifts, one for kickdown.

1, 2, 3, 4, TC lock. Again.

djdanrt
02-11-2010, 02:17 AM
um 4 gears... again. I don't know all the technical names or jargon for these transmission and Im not alone. You ask the question to a hand full of people and they will all tell you something different (3speed,4speed,5speed, just an example). Doesn't matter it looks like I have got all the relevant info from this thread im ever gonna get. I need to take my truck in to get looked at. Seems the TC isn't working right. Thought this might be a common enough thing to where a few people have had this issue. Thanks for everyones help. Once I take it in I'll try and post back.

jack02
02-11-2010, 03:53 AM
um 4 gears... again. I don't know all the technical names or jargon for these transmission and Im not alone. You ask the question to a hand full of people and they will all tell you something different (3speed,4speed,5speed, just an example). Doesn't matter it looks like I have got all the relevant info from this thread im ever gonna get. I need to take my truck in to get looked at. Seems the TC isn't working right. Thought this might be a common enough thing to where a few people have had this issue. Thanks for everyones help. Once I take it in I'll try and post back.

I have the same vehicle, year and tranny, and had strange transmission issues reving motor and slowing speed could have been while going from a stop or at highway speeds after checking fluid levels and normal things I thought it maybe, it turned out to be a relay in the Power Distribution Center,I would start there hopfully thats your issue also

caulk04
02-12-2010, 01:16 AM
You said the RPM go up when you touch the brake at cruising speed. That tells me the TC is locking.

djdanrt
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Hey all is good now! Well I was driving to a friends and messing with the OD and forgot I had it off when I got on the freeway till about 75mph and clicked it back on and the rpms when down to around 2300rpm, whoohoo! I haven't done anything to it and I haven't taken it anywhere to get looked at. I let it sit a while since it has been snowing and today was the first I've driven it in a few days. This truck has had that transmission problem since I bought it in May 09 and now seems to be gone. Weird weird weird!

I did have another issue. When I stop sometimes the check gauges light comes on and only the oil pressure goes dead. When I take off it turns back on and the light goes away. I do have oil. Truck runs real good no funny noises or loss of power. I think I have a short. One thing gets fixed and another problem pops up.

djdanrt
02-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Just wanted to post what Ive found out. I have 255/60 15" tires that equals 27.04" in Diameter and 3.55 gears. According to http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php if I put in all this data and use 3rd gear ratio of 1.00:1 it backs up what Ive been thinking that 4th wasn't working for whatever reason. It works now but I really haven't done anything to it except Ive been trying that brake gas thing a few times as per instructed in the previous post and messing with OD. Maybe someone can make sense of this or maybe this might help someone.

scdakota
02-17-2010, 03:59 AM
i have the same problem when it is cold it doesnt want to shift in to od i get mine to shift by letting up on the gas then giving it some gas and then a couple of seconds later it will finally shift and shift fine the rest of the day and i was getting a trouble code that was stating trouble shifting from 3 to 4

djdanrt
02-17-2010, 10:21 AM
i have the same problem when it is cold it doesnt want to shift in to od i get mine to shift by letting up on the gas then giving it some gas and then a couple of seconds later it will finally shift and shift fine the rest of the day and i was getting a trouble code that was stating trouble shifting from 3 to 4

Well I bought my truck in May 09 so it had nothing to do with it being cold.

Yesterday I put in a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee TCM WOW it Really woke up the truck up, the shifting is a lot better I think and the 5th gear is very cool. I guess they've had tons of TCM updates since 2000. I have the same issues the 2000 4.7 Dakota owners have that have done this mod, fault code, Gear selector display, ect. This mod works better on 2001-2004 4.7 Dakotas. I can live with the issues the Jeep TCM have for improved shifting and a 5th gear. Plus I have the old one I can just put in real quick if I need to.

WestCoastKevin
02-17-2010, 10:07 PM
I did have another issue. When I stop sometimes the check gauges light comes on and only the oil pressure goes dead. When I take off it turns back on and the light goes away. I do have oil. Truck runs real good no funny noises or loss of power. I think I have a short. One thing gets fixed and another problem pops up.

The oil pressure sending unit is right by the oil filter.
Do one of the following.
Swap it out for a new one
Test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Check the resistance/voltage at the sensor while someone presses the throttle. It should at least change with rpm a bit.

Kevin

djdanrt
02-18-2010, 12:03 AM
The oil pressure sending unit is right by the oil filter.
Do one of the following.
Swap it out for a new one
Test the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Check the resistance/voltage at the sensor while someone presses the throttle. It should at least change with rpm a bit.

Kevin
Ok Thanks. Its weird, it comes on at random times while stopping. I'll prob just replace it if its cheap.